Jefffahfffah

Van staal jigging rods- made in USA?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I apologize if this is a silly question to start a whole thread over, but I can't for the life of me find where these rods were made. Does anyone know if they were made in the US or in China? For better or worse, I have been trying to stick to US-made gear and there just aren't any American-made jigging rods that I can find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

I apologize if this is a silly question to start a whole thread over, but I can't for the life of me find where these rods were made. Does anyone know if they were made in the US or in China? For better or worse, I have been trying to stick to US-made gear and there just aren't any American-made jigging rods that I can find.

China

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong but I’ve got a feeling the reason you’re not finding big game jigging rods made in the US is because it’s not a technique that was popular here for big game until fairly recently. You’ll find plenty of US-made fluke, tog, and blackfish rods… but The majority of the big rod companies based in the US that cater to big fish that can be jigged for like tuna, amberjack, grouper, etc designed there rods for either trolling, bait/kite fishing, or west coast rail fishing. The most well known US companies for big fish are Seeker, Calstar, US Composites, Barrett, and maybe 2-3 others.. and those companies were all founded on the techniques mentioned above. 
Jigging for these type of fish is a Japanese technique, so that’s where the majority of the best rods meant for this type of fishing come from.

 

THAT SAID, I believe Phenix Rods are made in the US and their Megalodon Jigging rods are phenomenal from what I hear, but I’ve never personally used one so take that how you will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, nickd9283 said:

I could be wrong but I’ve got a feeling the reason you’re not finding big game jigging rods made in the US is because it’s not a technique that was popular here for big game until fairly recently. You’ll find plenty of US-made fluke, tog, and blackfish rods… but The majority of the big rod companies based in the US that cater to big fish that can be jigged for like tuna, amberjack, grouper, etc designed there rods for either trolling, bait/kite fishing, or west coast rail fishing. The most well known US companies for big fish are Seeker, Calstar, US Composites, Barrett, and maybe 2-3 others.. and those companies were all founded on the techniques mentioned above. 
Jigging for these type of fish is a Japanese technique, so that’s where the majority of the best rods meant for this type of fishing come from.

 

THAT SAID, I believe Phenix Rods are made in the US and their Megalodon Jigging rods are phenomenal from what I hear, but I’ve never personally used one so take that how you will.

You're definitely right, and a lot of those companies come to mind when I'm thinking of blanks that I'd choose for a custom rod. I was looking more for a production rod that I could find before the tuna fishing slows down this year. Perhaps I'll just have to get a custom built and wait it out instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

You're definitely right, and a lot of those companies come to mind when I'm thinking of blanks that I'd choose for a custom rod. I was looking more for a production rod that I could find before the tuna fishing slows down this year. Perhaps I'll just have to get a custom built and wait it out instead.

Those rod company’s don’t really have any blanks that are meant for jigging though unfortunately, the action is going to be wrong. There might be some small companies like phenix that I haven’t heard of, if you’re dead set on it being American made, I’d highly recommend you post this question on 360 tuna  dot com, you’ll definitely get suggestions over there 

Edited by nickd9283

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all about America but good jigging rods are from other parts of the world 

 

one of my favorites is Jigstar 

 

C36704FB-D9BD-428D-8B73-442B2D32020B.jpe

 

226E2A36-BE72-43DD-A26F-0A07B46C21EC.jpe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phenix rods are also made overseas. Good USA blank options for jigging would include Seeker and Thrasher. Seeker has been a staple on the West Coast for a variety of big game and jigging applications for decades.
 

Its very unfortunate how many blank manufacturers are abroad these days. Dying art, but the quality and design of those USA made blanks was excellent. Not to say an international company can’t make a good blank/rod but like you I prefer USA options when I can find the right fit for the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.