Mokes

I need a good Espresso/Cappachino machine

Rate this topic

811 posts in this topic

45 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Freezer beans :dismay:

Did you have them right next to your Vodka?

Everyone freezes beans. EVERYONE. 

Clearly you're not a scientist. I need a scientist to explain mysterious vacuum sealing to me stat. (That means pronto.....when mean NOW.)

1 hour ago, Mokes said:

This weird science. I am guessing the heat expanded the air in the bag, because I threw the beans in the freezer last night just in case I decided to keep the beans and now it's vacuum sealed basically. I've never actually seen this happen. Bag was loose and floppy last night, like a 70 year old hooker. 

20220809_074939.jpg

Temp and pressure are directly proportional. Mason jar effect.

I'm a scientist, and I don't freeze beans. 

But I will store them under vacuum. 

35 mins ago, Mokes said:

Everyone freezes beans. EVERYONE. 

Clearly you're not a scientist. I need a scientist to explain mysterious vacuum sealing to me stat. (That means pronto.....when mean NOW.)

7 mins ago, Mike said:

I'm a scientist, and I don't freeze beans. 

But I will store them under vacuum. 

Why the hell would you freeze perfectly good beans? Are you buying them in 10lb sacks or something? A pound of coffee should last a couple weeks. Get yourself a proper storage container.

Posted (edited)

Just now, MitchellNJ said:

Why the hell would you freeze perfectly good beans? Are you buying them in 10lb sacks or something? A pound of coffee should last a couple weeks. Get yourself a proper storage container.

I store my bean in sacks made from seal skins. 

Edited by Mokes

42 mins ago, Mokes said:

I store my bean in sacks made from seal skins. 

Effing Vikings....

So, beans. When beans get roasted they are fine in a bucket for a few weeks. For longer storage, they are kept under vacuum to reduce oxidation.

That causes a problem with freshly roasted beans. After roasting, bean "off gass" and need to breathe. That takes time. It you seal them up in a bag the gasses are trapped, saturate the beans, and they suck. 

Packers can't sit on beans for days or weeks waiting for them to off gass. That problem lead to the invention of that little disk you see embedded in bags of beans. That disk allows the beans to off gass, while keeping air out. I have no idea how it does that. It's some kind of one way valve.

Once I get that bag I figure the beans have had enough time to off gass and I'm not concerned about putting them back under vacuum after I open the bag. 

SCIENCE!!!!

16600552619505996375131154528901.jpg

1 min ago, redfishkiller said:

Didn't read the whole thread, but has mokes come out of the closet yet?

No Red, he's still in denial and thinks he's a Viking...

2 hours ago, Mokes said:

I KNOW....but when I got it, it was all loosey goosey and not like that at all. It was crazy hot though, so maybe the air expanded. If the seal was bad, it wouldn't have gone into vacuum seal mode I'd imagine. 

Honestly, I hate buying food stuff online. Amazon is full of dirty people. 

Science. It's not just for smart liberals.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

So, beans. When beans get roasted they are fine in a bucket for a few weeks. For longer storage, they are kept under vacuum to reduce oxidation.

That causes a problem with freshly roasted beans. After roasting, bean "off gass" and need to breathe. That takes time. It you seal them up in a bag the gasses are trapped, saturate the beans, and they suck. 

Packers can't sit on beans for days or weeks waiting for them to off gass. That problem lead to the invention of that little disk you see embedded in bags of beans. That disk allows the beans to off gass, while keeping air out. I have no idea how it does that. It's some kind of one way valve.

Once I get that bag I figure the beans have had enough time to off gass and I'm not concerned about putting them back under vacuum after I open the bag. 

SCIENCE!!!!

16600552619505996375131154528901.jpg

Yay science!

56 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

Science. It's not just for smart liberals.

My father just emailed me my family tree and history. 

EVERYTHING IS IN EFFING SWEDISH!!!??? i can't read it lol. Thanks DAD.