Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Had horses steal my hoodie from the back of my chair in the middle of the night.  Chewed on it and dropped it.   I can take dog spit but horse spit is right out.

11 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

I haven't been since early 80s but you are spot on about the begging horses.  At least back then.  Would even kick open coolers. 

Nothing has changed  they still ruin tents, raid unattended coolers, go into open truck tailgates, etc.  Gotta be aware of your surroundings at campgrounds, mostly Bayside.  They just come in and do as they please so if you are cooking and got stuff out, they just move in and will check it out.  

Speaking of horses taking clothes, I had a horse take my waders once, ended up flinging them 10 feet away after chewing on them for a few seconds. At the campground. 

Some great stories here guys.

Off topic... Kind of.....  Horses running around in the day and  sika deer sneaking up in the night and bugling next to you.  Crazy 

On 8/4/2022 at 4:58 PM, Stryper Snyper said:

Always been speculation about how the ponies got there.  Just read an article that links Spanish horse DNA from a 1500s site on Hispaniola to the current ponies.  Did they bring them on purpose or did the ship run aground and swam to shore?      And on the way home I heard they hired extra people and got more ATVs to help keep the horses away from the crowds.  Not sure what to think about that.  Thoughts?  @allen sklar

That article in particular was about a tooth from a spanish horse a guy found on some island and ran the DNA.  The DNA was a close resemblance to the Chincoteague horses which would back the theory they came from a Spanish ship that wrecked.

It will probably never be 100% confirmed.  If you look at certain maps that have thw wrecks documented there have been 100's off the south end.  Almost like they didn't know the hook was there.  At one time over 100 years ago it wasn't so that could be completely plausible as to why there were so many.

On 8/7/2022 at 7:48 PM, d-man said:

Nothing has changed  they still ruin tents, raid unattended coolers, go into open truck tailgates, etc.  Gotta be aware of your surroundings at campgrounds, mostly Bayside.  They just come in and do as they please so if you are cooking and got stuff out, they just move in and will check it out. 

We were cooking breakfast at the camp ground. Horse came in and ate the bacon out of the frying pan that was sitting on a lit coleman stove. It went back into the pan 3-4 times until it ate all the bacon. Couldn't believe it didn't burn it's lips on the hot bacon grease in the frying pan.

3 mins ago, BlueHwy said:

We were cooking breakfast at the camp ground. Horse came in and ate the bacon out of the frying pan that was sitting on a lit coleman stove. It went back into the pan 3-4 times until it ate all the bacon. Couldn't believe it didn't burn it's lips on the hot bacon grease in the frying pan.

Ate the bacon?   Now that means war!!!!

Great thread guys!

Allen, that angry standing pony picture is one of your best IMHO.

Anyone who's spent time on the beach or bayside will have some interesting stories about these critters.  One year, maybe 2007, we had a picnic gathering of maybe 25 fishermen on the bayside.  We grilled all kinds of good stuff and then dispersed for some fishing.   A few stayed behind to clean up and witnessed a small herd that came through to enjoy the leftovers, so technically they assisted with the cleanup ;) 

No pony pics, just a group shot before fishing

2007springfling.jpg.983c59fa49014aa3d8da7068cbcef770.jpg

On 8/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, d-man said:

Same happen to me.  Got it on video too. Horses in full run down water line, dog starts barking, I turn arond to see 6 or 7 horses coming at us.  They stopped when they got real close, a few went in front and some behind us and they kept going south.  15-30 min later, they came north past us again.  This time the alpha came walking right at me and my suburban, right straight at me.  He was letting me know he was in charge, no mistake about that.  Came so close I had to get between truck and cargo carrier in back.  He was 10 feet away just looking at me for long enough to get the point across.  A mean horse.  It was pretty intense.  What a memory though.

Not mean, just wild.