Farmer John

Rate this topic

marty_mccarty

Help me out:

1: Which zipper front farmer John do you like/dislike? Can you take a leak without taking your arms out using the zipper? What mil thickness do you like if you're rock hopping and occasionally swimming but mostly dry?

2: What do you wear on top of it on a night where you don't need a jacket?

I currently use a 3/2 top entry wetsuit that is a pain in the ass getting on and off, and gets hot to hike in so I'm always rolling the top down and back up in warmer weather. I really like the 2mm legs with knee padding (xcel brand). I'll continue to use this suit when I'm getting serious or it's cold out, but I'm looking for a more casual option for quick outings of rock hopping.

Thanks for any opinions 

"A jury of flies, likely to condemn and betray all the trouts in the river" - Izaak Walton

10 mins ago, marty_mccarty said:

Help me out:

1: Which zipper front farmer John do you like/dislike? Can you take a leak without taking your arms out using the zipper? What mil thickness do you like if you're rock hopping and occasionally swimming but mostly dry?

2: What do you wear on top of it on a night where you don't need a jacket?

I currently use a 3/2 top entry wetsuit that is a pain in the ass getting on and off, and gets hot to hike in so I'm always rolling the top down and back up in warmer weather. I really like the 2mm legs with knee padding (xcel brand). I'll continue to use this suit when I'm getting serious or it's cold out, but I'm looking for a more casual option for quick outings of rock hopping.

Thanks for any opinions 

Shorts and neoprene top, or shorts and frogg togg jacket. All the way to Nov.

22 hours ago, RAW said:

Shorts and neoprene top, or shorts and frogg togg jacket. All the way to Nov.

I fish in shorts and boots a lot too if I can get away with it, but i like the buoyancy and padding of a wetsuit if I'm swimming to rocks

21 hours ago, DZ said:

I’m using a waist high during summer with a lightweight quick dry shirt. 

Nice thanks 

17 hours ago, puppet said:

Nrs has several models i use in 3mm.  very versatile and checks all your boxes. Front zip, on long walks i roll down the top.  i wear ot june through nov.  layer accordingly, get a 3mm top for colder water.

Do you know what the difference is between the regular nrs farmer John and the ultra John?

"A jury of flies, likely to condemn and betray all the trouts in the river" - Izaak Walton