JimG

Should Alex Jones have to pay the parents of Sandy Hook?

Rate this topic

304 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, JimG said:

I'm not even sure feelings are worthy of damages.   Doesn't a plaintiff have to demonstrate they have been harmed in some way beyond hurt feelings to be compensated

He's being sued for defamation of character, not for "hurt feelings".  

Sounds a bit fishy no?

While Jones was on the witness stand at his defamation trial in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday, he learned that his lawyers accidentally sent two years of text messages from his cellphone to Mark Bankston, an attorney for the plaintiffs — and then failed to note that the messages were protected under attorney-client privilege.

Just now, Heron25 said:

Opinions- got it. 

Yes.  The opinions of the people that actually lived the event.  

1 min ago, Slacker said:

Yes.  The opinions of the people that actually lived the event.  

Again- opinion.  

3 mins ago, Slacker said:

I know

Posted (edited)

9 mins ago, Heron25 said:

No it wouldn't.  

I think god forbid it's you or I, or anybody else on this thread, we all would have no idea as to how we would react knowing our children were killed and this fat pig is earning money spewing about how it never happened and was created by those he opposes. Not once, but repeatedly over and over since that dreadful day. JMO

Edited by brushfly

2 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Sounds a bit fishy no?

While Jones was on the witness stand at his defamation trial in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday, he learned that his lawyers accidentally sent two years of text messages from his cellphone to Mark Bankston, an attorney for the plaintiffs — and then failed to note that the messages were protected under attorney-client privilege.

Jones should sue his lawyers.

1 min ago, Heron25 said:

Again- opinion.  

Yes.  But opinions informed by experience.  Whereas your opinion isn't.

1 min ago, JimG said:

I know

Not everyone in this thread seems to.

8 mins ago, JimG said:

I'm not even sure feelings are worthy of damages.   Doesn't a plaintiff have to demonstrate they have been harmed in some way beyond hurt feelings to be compensated

4 mins ago, Slacker said:

To be classified as defamatory, a statement must be injurious. The entire purpose of a defamation of character lawsuit is to prove that the statement in question caused damage to the victim. The claimant in a defamation case must prove that the false statement damaged their reputation.

1 hour ago, Gotcow? said:

It's Joey, what do you think he means?

I know the answer, I’ll guess you would give them a paid vacation 

for a month till it blows over am

i right ? :shaky:

3 mins ago, JimG said:

To be classified as defamatory, a statement must be injurious. The entire purpose of a defamation of character lawsuit is to prove that the statement in question caused damage to the victim. The claimant in a defamation case must prove that the false statement damaged their reputation.

Yes.  Being called a liar is injurious to your character.  Think how pissy people get on here over being called a liar in an anonymous forum on a fishing message board.  

2 hours ago, JimG said:

Feelings about Alex Jones aside (personally I see him as an Andy Kaufman type of character.   The joke is on the people taking him seriously)  .....

...but why isn't he free to speculate and have crazy conspiracy theories?

What is he liable for?

Some of the parents have had to move repeatedly because of harassment. The one pair of parents (Feldman?) have moved a dozen times. Strangers bang on their doors and demand that they admit to the hoax. They show up at the children's graves, and shout abuse at the parents, or do so merely when they see them in the street. They get harassed on the phone, on the Internet, and it will never end.

Financial damages aren't enough. The parents ought to be able to take a baseball bat to him personally, and to everyone who has ever showed up to bother them.

Some "hurt feelings".

Parents of 6-year-old victim Jesse Lewis endured years of harassment and death threats. Neil Heslin, Lewis' father, described it as a “living hell," including an instance where someone drove past his house, firing shots and shouting "Infowars" and "Alex Jones."

"My life has been threatened. I fear for my life and safety, and the safety and life of my wife," he said.