Should Alex Jones have to pay the parents of Sandy Hook?

Rate this topic

JimG

27 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Well that is one hell of a gray area.

Let's start with something easy.

Vince from Shamwow goes on TV and put out an add showing him dump wine on a carpet, going the way through to the counter underneath.  He then dabs the carpet with his towel, the stain is gone, and the counter underneath is dry.  We all know that's not possible.  So the government brings him in, asks him to repeat the demonstration, and when he cannot, he gets his Citizenship stripped, and he is banished from America.

Start easy, and work your way up.

Whio is the judge?

3 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Well, what you consider to be "over the top stupid" would fix the problem.

What you propose is what I would call "soft."

You don't know what I would propose.

Actually if you paid any attention to what I suggest be done with some of these bad people you would not be calling me soft.

51 mins ago, Nessmuk said:

Mad cow disease.

Words.  Jones just spouts words.  Frequently nutbag words, but still just words. You’d have to be a short-sighted knob to think punishing people for words we don’t like is not the worst kind of stupid.  If it was bright I’d start a class action suit right now against half the Progs in here.

If your words libel or slander someone else, you open your wallet.

6 mins ago, Slacker said:

If your words libel or slander someone else, you open your wallet.

In this case, it seems more like it spurred harassment. That being said, I have not been following the case at all and only read about it this morning as I saw an article about his lawyers mistakenly sending all his texts to the plaintiff's lawyer. That's quite a f up. Nevertheless, this does seem like it should be worth some cash...

The parents testified Tuesday about a decade of trauma, inflicted first by the murder of their son and what followed: gun shots fired at a home, online and telephone threats, and harassment on the street by strangers, all fueled by Jones and his conspiracy theory spread to his followers via his website Infowars.

no he shouldn't

from the houston chronicle........

The exchange with Shroyer, which was expected to continue on Friday, came after the defense for Jones featured an Infowars video of Jones saying he believed children died in the Sandy Hook shooting but questioned media accounts of the crime.

“Did you hear Alex Jones say on the video, ‘I believe children died at Sandy Hook’?” asked attorney F. Andino Reynal during Day 3 of evidence in a livestreamed trial that has been covered nationwide since it began with jury selection on Monday.

Reynal was questioning an Infowars producer on the witness stand named Daria Karpova, who began a third day of testimony Thursday after being grilled earlier in the week by attorneys for the parents of a slain Sandy Hook first-grader.

“He did say that,” Karpova said.

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

6 mins ago, The Dude said:

In this case, it seems more like it spurred harassment. That being said, I have not been following the case at all and only read about it this morning as I saw an article about his lawyers mistakenly sending all his texts to the plaintiff's lawyer. That's quite a f up. Nevertheless, this does seem like it should be worth some cash...

The parents testified Tuesday about a decade of trauma, inflicted first by the murder of their son and what followed: gun shots fired at a home, online and telephone threats, and harassment on the street by strangers, all fueled by Jones and his conspiracy theory spread to his followers via his website Infowars.

I think the claim in court is based on his comments being defamatory. 

But, yeah, completely baseless comments by him may have led to some in his audience to harass those poor people.

Edited by Slacker

If he defamed them whether by slander or libel and it can be proven, sure he should be open to lawsuit.

I remember he said they were crisis actors.  I think that is where the term got a foothold.  This is going back a long way and I am doing this from memory. 

If he said or wrote the parents and kids were crisis actors, that would def fit under defamation.  Especially if he made money on it, which in promoting his show could certainly fit under that definition.

I guess we need to know the particulars.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

4 mins ago, Slacker said:

I think the claim in court is based on his comments being defamatory. 

But, yeah, completely baseless comments by him may have led to some in his audience to harass those poor people.

2 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

How does that that get proven exactly ? 

It doesn't.  And that's probably why he is being sued for defamation which is an easier case to make.  Put his public comments before the jury and they decide if it is defamation or not.