Rate this topic

BrianBM

I have an indoor cat. When she asks, I pet her, until she runs away. No toy involved, the toys she likes are short lengths of surgical tubing that I gave her so she'd have things to carry around the house without rifling my fly boxes for something I'd left out to dry. She knows the word "squirrel," which brings her to the front window at a run to glare hatred at rodents trespassing on her porch. She seems to know her name.

We have a varying crowd of strays outside, one hyper-friendly, a sibling who is extremely shy, and so on. We also have a very old girl, 14-15 y.o., who is the grandmother of the house cat. She's a surly old thing, but if she sees my wife paying attention to another cat, then and only then does she demand some attention too. Otherwise, feed me and leave me the hell alone. Funny stuff.

Said wife brought home a toy, a stick, a cord, and a cloth mouse on the end of the cord. If either of us calls and starts waving the mouse stick, Hyper Friendly Cat and Cranky Grandma come running and try desperately to catch and kill the mouse. Cats are famous for the intensity of their focus, of course.

Here's the question. If I call, and Hyper Friendly Cat comes over for a good petting and chest rub, certainly he knows it's me who is petting or scratching him. But if the Mouse Toy comes out, does he even know I'm there? Is he conscious he's being played with by me, or am I a background blur, and the Mouse is the actor in the game? Is Grandma Muffin also oblivious to human presence?

A fascinating question.

2 mins ago, MikeMc said:

I think the cat knows you are playing with it, personally 

Same here…and the cat appreciates that you are playing with it. Most of the kitties I’ve ever had end up being fetch kitties - I throw stuff and they bring it back. Some are better than others…and one will bring me random stuff to throw so she can go get it and bring it back. Pencils, pens, fuzzy toys, deer tails, etc. They know I’m playing with them, they even bring me the toys :) 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

8 hours ago, giggyfish said:

I don’t know if it applies but I still think a single man with cats is probably the weirdest thing ever.

If I were on my own I wouldn't have any pets, too lazy and irresponsible. A dog you have to get home and walk and feed them or at least you should. Cats you can get away with a couple of days with automatic feeders.

I have a huge, black cat who loves when we shoot my wife's elastic hair ties across the room so he can bring them back.

He never tires of this but we do so he learned how to shoot them himself by hooking it on one tooth and one claw. 

He snapped himself in the face a few times but has learned to shoot them as far as I can. 

Amazing and demanding creatures.

54 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

really?

Lol

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts