adam42

Something big & toothy in shallow water

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

On second thought, It could have been a small animal. In the cape cod canal there are many small furry animals (no clue their name) that eat leftover bait and cleaned fish.

Interesting stuff, can't imagine there are any otters there and I've never heard of them here but could totally see a raccoon having a den way up in those rocks where it holes up during the day and only comes out to scavenge among the rocks for shellfish at night.

Imagine any raccoon hiding spots would flood during a king tide so a little skeptical on there being a full time nest but I think it's feasible they come in at night and if caught out on the peninsula when people start walking it for exercise at sunrise could have decided to just hole up until night.

That or a tiny shark was very bold squeezing itself among the rocks.

25 mins ago, adam42 said:

Interesting stuff, can't imagine there are any otters there and I've never heard of them here

I'd never heard of Sea Otters on US east coast, so I went checking, and could find no  range map indicating that there ever has been. 
What I did find was Sea Mink - Marine Mink which (past tense - extinct about 1890-1920) lived in New England 

6 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

I'd never heard of Sea Otters on US east coast, so I went checking, and could find no  range map indicating that there ever has been. 
What I did find was Sea Mink - Marine Mink which (past tense - extinct about 1890-1920) lived in New England 

OK, this tripped some dormant cortical synapses.  There are weasels that live around docks, riprap, jettys.  I've seen them running around and squealing at one of my waterside watering holes.  

4 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

OK, this tripped some dormant cortical synapses.  There are weasels that live around docks, riprap, jettys.  I've seen them running around and squealing at one of my waterside watering holes.  

Mink! Them and otters will clean you out! Love watching them play in the rocks

RATS,   sorry this isnt the NY thread.    them jetty rats and racoons will walk right between your legs to see if you're holding

10 hours ago, 541Wiant said:

Mink! Them and otters

and weasels .. All those mustelids.. Ounce for ounce, pound for pound, undaunted top flight killers