adam42

Something big & toothy in shallow water

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

At Rockland breakwater, right behind the lighthouse. No striper action so going for pollock but only getting mackerel.

The gulls are edging closer to the pile of mackerel so I pull a stringer out of my bag and dip them down in a gap in the breakwater rocks. It appears super shallow but could be mistaken but it's definitely highly restrictive space.

After about 20 minutes another mackerel school goes by and I get some more. Pulling up the stringer I'm shocked to find that one of them is cleanly severed below the gills so it's just a single head on the stringer.

I can rule out crabs because it was a clean cut and the other mackerel were unmolested.

I'm thinking it's possibly a lobster that tried to bring it back to its den and grew frustrated so cut it but that seems unlikely.

There are wolf fish there but I can't imagine an adult being able to fit in that space, so possibly a juvenile.

Small shark? 

I don't think it could possibly be an eel or a striper because this was a freshly cut mackerel that was still alive and would have thus needed some sharp teeth to cut through like this.

Thoughts?

So to better explain this, I dropped them in a gap in the rocks about 6 feet into the breakwater away from the shore.

So anything to get to these mackerel would need to have navigated and squeezed between a number of rocks.  Perhaps there was a viable pathway underneath that would allow a bluefish in but that's unclear.

The arrow is pointing to the exact gap in the rocks that I lowered the mackerel in, it appeared as if I was dunking them into a 6" deep pocket.

rockland.jpg

13 hours ago, adam42 said:

At Rockland breakwater, right behind the lighthouse. No striper action so going for pollock but only getting mackerel.

The gulls are edging closer to the pile of mackerel so I pull a stringer out of my bag and dip them down in a gap in the breakwater rocks. It appears super shallow but could be mistaken but it's definitely highly restrictive space.

After about 20 minutes another mackerel school goes by and I get some more. Pulling up the stringer I'm shocked to find that one of them is cleanly severed below the gills so it's just a single head on the stringer.

I can rule out crabs because it was a clean cut and the other mackerel were unmolested.

I'm thinking it's possibly a lobster that tried to bring it back to its den and grew frustrated so cut it but that seems unlikely.

There are wolf fish there but I can't imagine an adult being able to fit in that space, so possibly a juvenile.

Small shark? 

I don't think it could possibly be an eel or a striper because this was a freshly cut mackerel that was still alive and would have thus needed some sharp teeth to cut through like this.

Thoughts?

Great description.  I had a similar thing happen in casco, and after it happened twice, the third time I reeled in (and promptly released) a lobster.  Could have been a blue or a small shark like you said.

1 hour ago, adam42 said:

it appeared as if I was dunking them into a 6" deep pocket.

appears being the word.. and only you know. Assembled, irregularly shaped boulders leave gaps, and gaps connect. Jetties are stable, but not solid, right?

I'm unfamiliar with this bluefish to which some of you referred.  Is  this a species that comes up to Maine?     I haven't seen them.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/3/2022 at 1:18 AM, 2GT said:

Are there Otters where you fish? 

I had a resident raccoon that lived in a jetty down here in CT.  Scared the crap out of me. 

On 8/3/2022 at 8:04 AM, richie c said:

do conger eels live  in jetty rocks

I saw a really large eel (7-8ft) come across a sandy flat and squeeze between two rocks, then disappear inside a jetty a few years back.  Same jetty with the raccoon. 

Edited by PSegnatelli