bronson

annoyed ..factory avid

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

dang- I really like this rod. but factory guide setup imho sucks.  say a uni to uni 17-40 sounds like walking in the woods when its dark(knots going though guides). friends w rodgeeeks  blanks(same) custom w bigger guides [afaik) the same blank was better.  so ... is the issue pre tying fg or whatever knot to go through guides better or go custom w bigger guides .....of shitcan the whole setup  and go custom cts.  pretty happy w saltist 30h......does anyone know what I'm saying? don't wanna spend 650 on a custom cts when could learn a better Pia knot but I can't see tying in  the dark on a windy night ...fishing not tourney. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well!

I just happen to be sifting through here and got a notification lol!

A knot question usually draws some attention!

So, what knot are you using now?

 

Edit: I got my goggles on so I can read now lol!

A uni to uni is an extremely loud knot when tied with mono, especially once you start hitting 40 pound shocker!

BeachBob taught me a knot, which I kind of used already, but he showed me a different variation!

I think they call it a leader blob!

There all kinds of threads on this in here, that were just being talked about not too long ago!

I’ll see if I can find a link for you!

 

EA

 

 

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

Well!

I just happen to be sifting through here and got a notification lol!

A knot question usually draws some attention!

So, what knot are you using now?

 

EA

 

 

in the post - 17 - 40 lb mono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

For the time being until you figure out what you wanna do with your guides or rod!

You can try this knot here it will definitely  help out!

 

line to leader.png

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bronson said:

dang- I really like this rod. but factory guide setup imho sucks

 

Bronson, looking at the reel you are using (Saltist 30H) I assume its one of the Avid Surf casting sticks 10' 1-4; 11' 3-8 or 12' 6-16?

 

Guides used are good qulaity (KW's with Alconite rings) the layout on the SC website looks reasonable, any idea as to what size guides are used? ie stripper, next 2 then the running guides? If you have a set of Vernier calipers, measure the ID's and I can cross reference against the giuides I have in stock here.

 

As a point of reference I use the following on a 12' 2-5oz with an Omoto 630 filled with 0.35mm (15lb) or 0.40mm (20lb) mono main and a 0.70mm (50lb) mono leader without any issue:

LC20 LC16 KW12 KW8 (8 of the size 8's)

I use an ordinary Albright.

Are you breaking off often that you need to re-tie or is it more just a concern?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 10-52-40 avidSeriesSurfCasting-min_1024x1024.png (WEBP Image 1000 × 140 pixels).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the guides it's the knot like mentioned above.  I use a spider hitch to bristol knot. 2 slim knots not going against the guides the wrong way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attach your main line to your shock leader/leader thru hollow core braid…no knots … the smoothest connection you can get for two lines … u tube has the video … it does take time and the needle tool … the finished product is extremely strong ….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its the red

(previous) model 12 ft .... loads effortlessly. this is just annoying.  I'm just gonna learn a new knot.  for reference to those thinking its all knot- I've been playing this game a long time and been through many heavers- tica, breakaway hdx, tsunami-ballistic and never heard this racket .... if you put this rod side by side to a custom cts by say nick walke you say the avids guides are significantly smaller....same with another buddies custom rod geek (same blank)....thanks for the replies- 

4 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

 

Bronson, looking at the reel you are using (Saltist 30H) I assume its one of the Avid Surf casting sticks 10' 1-4; 11' 3-8 or 12' 6-16?

 

Guides used are good qulaity (KW's with Alconite rings) the layout on the SC website looks reasonable, any idea as to what size guides are used? ie stripper, next 2 then the running guides? If you have a set of Vernier calipers, measure the ID's and I can cross reference against the giuides I have in stock here.

 

As a point of reference I use the following on a 12' 2-5oz with an Omoto 630 filled with 0.35mm (15lb) or 0.40mm (20lb) mono main and a 0.70mm (50lb) mono leader without any issue:

LC20 LC16 KW12 KW8 (8 of the size 8's)

I use an ordinary Albright.

Are you breaking off often that you need to re-tie or is it more just a concern?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 10-52-40 avidSeriesSurfCasting-min_1024x1024.png (WEBP Image 1000 × 140 pixels).png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is really probably mainly me getting a good deal on a factory rod when its time for a custom.  picky - stuck in my ways-and very impressed with this blank but not loving the guides.   thanks for replies ... ill be sussing out a new knot.  I've been lazily going spider hitch (I know should Bimini ) to double uni to 8n bait. just what I learned a long time ago and can tie in the dark and  in the wind....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bronson said:

this is really probably mainly me getting a good deal on a factory rod when its time for a custom.  picky - stuck in my ways-and very impressed with this blank but not loving the guides.   thanks for replies ... ill be sussing out a new knot.  I've been lazily going spider hitch (I know should Bimini ) to double uni to 8n bait. just what I learned a long time ago and can tie in the dark and  in the wind....

The above knot that I posted for you, can be tied in the dark, in the cold, in the wind!

There is no knot, that could be any simpler to tie!

I exert huge amounts of force when I am practice casting!

And most of my rods are factory with very small runners!

I have never not once, had this knot get hung up in any size guides or fail on me yet!

Be it Fishing or on the field!

 

 

EA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I do to create a "chinese finger trap" to join the mono to the braid main line.:

 

Tools are EZ Knot and two Daho needles - the reverse latch and to hollow for up to 60lb mono.  Also need acetone and Loctite UltraGel Control (waterproof) super glue. 

 

  1. Using hollow needle, feed mono into hollow core braid for 12 inches
  2. Cut hollow core braid 6 inches from end of mono inside the braid
  3. Use EZ Knot tool to tie needle knot over end of braid where mono was inserted.  Apply Loctite Super Glue (water proof) and work it flat with fingers over the knot, its tag ends and the very end of the hollow braid.  Allow to dry while cleaning fingers with acetone.
  4. Using reverse latch needle, grab a loop of your braid main line and feed it into and out of the side of the hollow braid close to the hidden end of the mono.  Pull through enough braid to tie a 7 turn half Uni over the outside of the hollow braid, From the knot, slide it to the exit point from the side of the hollow braid and snug it down.  Apply Loctite Super Glue
  5. Work the hollow braid with your finger until it is tight to the mono and the braid main line, and repeat step 3 for the main line end of the hollow braid.

 

This joint is virtually silent going thru the level wind guide on my 6500/6501 ABUs, as well as the casting rod guides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.