stripedbassking

Summer striped bass ASMFC meeting

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

The government is involved. It's corrupt. Everything they get involved in is corrupted every G D thing.  Our government ruined it period. 

22 hours ago, Drew C. said:

The retailers, tackle companies, boat companies- they don’t want conservation and they actively fight against it. 

Yeah, which makes absolutely no sense.  I fish about a quarter of the time I used to which is also reflected in my fishing related expenditures. I was considering buying a new Shimano Twinpower but then I came to my senses and decided to continue to use what I already have.  Why spend $500+ on a reel when there isn't much to catch.  Hopefully someone from here is affiliated with Shimano and will relay this to their leadership, what I and many others have been saying for quite sometime.

You want me and others to spend our money on fishing related purchases?  Give us a good, consistent fishery with opportunities to catch large and small.  I know, I know.  I am asking too much.

9 mins ago, jps1010 said:

Yeah, which makes absolutely no sense.  I fish about a quarter of the time I used to which is also reflected in my fishing related expenditures. I was considering buying a new Shimano Twinpower but then I came to my senses and decided to continue to use what I already have.  Why spend $500+ on a reel when there isn't much to catch.  Hopefully someone from here is affiliated with Shimano and will relay this to their leadership, what I and many others have been saying for quite sometime.

You want me and others to spend our money on fishing related purchases?  Give us a good, consistent fishery with opportunities to catch large and small.  I know, I know.  I am asking too much.

Shimano still makes plenty of money by making minor changes to reels and convincing people that they need the new and improved models, making spools out of plastic ("high-tech carbon fiber," in the marketing materials) more likely to break than the old aluminum if you bang it against a rock, putting out entire rod and reel "systems" and convincing people that they need such special gear to fish a particular lure, than cease production of the lure once the market is saturated, so they can introduce a new "must have", etc.  The company is a master of planned obsolescence.

Why do they need fish, when they have marketing and people gullible enough to believe it?

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Drew C. said:

The retailers, tackle companies, boat companies- they don’t want conservation and they actively fight against it. 

Have to point out that the inshore salt water recreational fishing market is a pimple on the butt of boat companies.  Those triple, quad and five >300 hp outboard boats are where their profits, and focus lay.

Just saying...

Edited by Roccus7

12 hours ago, CWitek said:

When you try to do the right thing and get outvoted, you've done all that you can do.

You kieep urging people to do the right thing, but if they refuse, you can't force them.  And when you're a state manager, you can't just walk away.

A lot of people choose to do the wrong thing, but the folks who try to do the right thing deserve recognition, even if they fail.

Perhas. But in the end failure is failure and wrong is wrong. The band on the titanic may hey helped some people relax for a bit but in the end it didn't do jack ****.

And now the ASMFC is going to place a higher burden on the rec side? Again, very telling on what they care about.

ps - its not the resource.

24 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Perhas. But in the end failure is failure and wrong is wrong. The band on the titanic may hey helped some people relax for a bit but in the end it didn't do jack ****.

And now the ASMFC is going to place a higher burden on the rec side? Again, very telling on what they care about.

ps - its not the resource.

If you take that position, then all of us who have taken the time to advocate for the bass, the bluefish, and various other species, but sometimes failed did nothing but rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic, and in the end aren't worth jack**** because we didn't succeed.

I prefer Teddy Rooselvelt's view

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

There are good people at the ASMFC who are trying to do the right thing.  They don't always prevail, and in many ways, the ASMFC system is stacked against them.  I'll condemn the system, and I'll condemn the people catering to the short-sighted private interests looking for nothing more than a quick buck, but I'll stand up for the people who stand on principle and try to represent the resource, even though they don't always win.

Criticism is easy.  Making meaningful change is hard.

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

Criticism is easy.  Making meaningful change is hard.

Well said Charles, and Theodore's quote is always appropriate.  

3 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Have to point out that the inshore salt water recreational fishing market is a pimple on the butt of boat companies.  Those triple, quad and five >300 hp outboard boats are where their profits, and focus lay.

Just saying...

I don't doubt that for a minute.  It certainly shows.  However, the problem is we can't catch what isn't there.  Eventually, the poor fishing that the surf casters experience, will filter to the boat fishermen if more isn't done to address the decline.  Hence, those triple, quad and five >300 hr outboard boats may eventually make less and less trips, just like the rest of us sand crawlers.

Posted (edited)

9 mins ago, jps1010 said:

I don't doubt that for a minute.  It certainly shows.  However, the problem is we can't catch what isn't there.  Eventually, the poor fishing that the surf casters experience, will filter to the boat fishermen if more isn't done to address the decline.  Hence, those triple, quad and five >300 hr outboard boats may eventually make less and less trips, just like the rest of us sand crawlers.

I sincerely doubt that the bulk of outings taken in those sorts of boats involve fishing. Not a single boat of the local striper fleet falls into this category.  

Goodness gracious, we don't want to be getting fish blood all over those nice bow cushions that Momma suns herself on, do we??

The price of gas will become the single most important factor for these folks whether or not the boat goes out, and Poseidon knows that those multiple 6 cylinder outboards just vacuum up fuel.  This group of boat owners couldn't even spell Morone saxatilis...

Edited by Roccus7

12 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

I sincerely doubt that the bulk of outings taken in those sorts of boats involve fishing. Not a single boat of the local striper fleet falls into this category.  

Goodness gracious, we don't want to be getting fish blood all over those nice bow cushions that Momma suns herself on, do we??

The price of gas will become the single most important factor for these folks whether or not the boat goes out, and Poseidon knows that those multiple 6 cylinder outboards just vacuum up fuel.  This group of boat owners couldn't even spell Morone saxatilis...

I was only referring to striped bass, per this thread, and how the less fish that are around, equated to less related expenditures on my end and others that I know.  I was not referring to other species or what others do for fun when they go out on their boats. 

It's really simple.  If fishing is good from both shore and boat, you will have more people spending money on fishing related items.  If it's not, then people like me, and my nephew who fishes from his boat, will spend less on it.  Will they find other ways to spend their money?  Sure but it won't be on that new, shiny Shimano reel.  Will there be others that do?  Yes but as a business owner I wouldn't want to limit my customer base to 80% of the pie.

If people

Posted (edited)

35 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Believe it or not, in my part of the world, those are fishing boats, although primarily offshore boats.  They bass fish from them in the fall, but mostly they chase tuna.

My marina is a Regulator dealer.  He can sell all of the 3- and 4-engine boats that he can get from the manufacturer, and they all get fitted with outriggers and head offshore.

Gas prices don't matter too much to this crowd.  Twenty years ago, they would have bought big flybridge sportfishermen.  Now they buy fast center consoles.  But if you can pay between a quarter and half a million dollars for a go-fast fishboat, you can afford the fuel.

Edited by CWitek

5 hours ago, CWitek said:

Shimano still makes plenty of money by making minor changes to reels and convincing people that they need the new and improved models, making spools out of plastic ("high-tech carbon fiber," in the marketing materials) more likely to break than the old aluminum if you bang it against a rock, putting out entire rod and reel "systems" and convincing people that they need such special gear to fish a particular lure, than cease production of the lure once the market is saturated, so they can introduce a new "must have", etc.  The company is a master of planned obsolescence.

Why do they need fish, when they have marketing and people gullible enough to believe it?

I agree but wouldn't that only carry them for so long?  What happens when fishing becomes so poor and there isn't a viable fishery?

This might sound a bit ignorant, but why not take striped bass away from commercial fishing? Make sale of striped bass illegal, and keep regulations as they are for recreation? Unify the law and regs coastwide. Then actually have enforcement for the groups of poachers filling garbage bags with small fish.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

Believe it or not, in my part of the world, those are fishing boats, although primarily offshore boats.  They bass fish from them in the fall, but mostly they chase tuna.

Totally believe that, but a cataclysmic crash in the striped bass population would not lessen those boat sales.  It would take closure of fishing in the Canyons for that to happen...

Edited by Roccus7

1 hour ago, jps1010 said:

I agree but wouldn't that only carry them for so long?  What happens when fishing becomes so poor and there isn't a viable fishery?

They don't look that far ahead.

Can we make our numbers for the year?  Yes.  Will I get my bonus for the year?  Yes.

OK, all is good.  

And if things go bad five years from now, Shimano can just shift assets to its bycycle business, while Brunswick makes more wakeboats and pontoons.  Or the CEOs can retire on the money already made, or get a job elsewhere in the recreation industry.  Make a boat, make a camper, make a snowmobile, it's all the same to them.  Or even make freshwater tackle--fish are better managed there, and the market will always exist.