stripedbassking

Summer striped bass ASMFC meeting

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

And then you’ve got idiots down south saying we need to commercially take small fish for the plate and bigger sized fish for the grill…… wonder what they are smoking down there….

He's an old-school Maryland commercial fisherman, associated with some fairly graphic gill net photos early this year.  You wouldn't expect that guy to say anything else.

13 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I don’t know what the yoy will bring in September but I’m guessing it won’t be good. Given past spawning and the current status it’s going to take severe restrictions in order to rebuild the stock in 10 years. I don’t see how it’s even possible and I know the usual children will not be willing to do what is needed. 

If there is any good here, it's the new recruitment trigger that was adopted in Amendment 7.  Average recruitment in Maryland was below the 25th percentile over the past three years, so both the stock assessment update and the rebuilding plan will incorporate a low-recruitment assumption, making both more conservative--but also making rebuilding that much more difficult.

12 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

This is very disconcerting, and a validation of the poor YOYs we've seen over the past 7 years.  I'm closing in on 300 fish YTD, and have only caught 20 fish 20" or less.  Normally, that population makes up a majority of the fish caught up here...

As I mentioned above, Maryland juvenile abundance index was low enough during 2019-2021 to trigger Amendment 7's low recruitment assumption for the assessment update and the rebuilding plan.  So unless you get some of the 2020s out of the Hudson, little fish will be scarce.

12 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Seems adjusting the slot as needed to accommodate year classes is the only best option on the table.

The fact that some people were talking about this at the meeting, and no one came back with a "management stability" retort, is also something new, and suggests that managers are becoming concerned.

46 mins ago, CWitek said:

He's an old-school Maryland commercial fisherman, associated with some fairly graphic gill net photos early this year.  You wouldn't expect that guy to say anything else.

I was there and my friends took the pics and videos. This guy needs to be blasted in a meeting, as well as the state, for choosing a convicted Multiple-offensive poacher to a position where he has leeway in regulation decisions. He shouldn’t be a voice for anything striped bass related, he should not have a comm license anymore. Without the Chesapeake bay we don’t have a migration. 

I've beaten this dead horse til it's been dead 100 times over. the situation we are seeing is EXACTLY like what happen in the late 70's. Same fish distribution, a bunch of large(last of the remaining big fish) and diminishing medium fish and scattered small fish. Good fisherman having the same experiences of many skunk trips. The result is happening before our eyes,a breakdown of the our striper  population to the point of a MORATORIUM being the only option.

This is painful for me because I wouldn't be around for the next recovery 15yrs from now. I have reduced my fishing days to reduce the possible mortality for dink stripers and the occasional large fish. I know this won't help much .but it's all I can do myself.

I hope we can get more people to crimp barbs and respect C/R principles. I will also say for the umpteen time the stripe bass should be given game fish status east coast wide.

18 hours ago, CWitek said:

We've got a pretty good--particularly for midsummer--pick going in the western Sound, but the fish aren't huge--rats, with a reasonable number of 2015s and a few 2011s, but nothing bigger--at least nothing that we landed.  Just about everyting on 1 oz Gibbs pencils right around first light, although sometimes it continues on and off for a few hours.  Fishing from a boat, of course.  Not much public access on that side of the Sound.

Lost a very solid fish up there Saturday morning--one of those bass that I couldn't move, even though I was using an outfit that has easily handled a few small tuna.  It didn't look that big when it nailed the pencil, but it just cruised near the bottom and I couldn;t raise it, then we became unattached.  

But that';s the way it is when the population is low--a few spots still have good fishing, the rest have nearly none.

Agreed that the assessment will probably bring bad news.

Yep. And it’s not just certain spots that have good fishing, but also only very specific time/condition windows.

38 mins ago, John P said:

I've beaten this dead horse til it's been dead 100 times over. the situation we are seeing is EXACTLY like what happen in the late 70's. Same fish distribution, a bunch of large(last of the remaining big fish) and diminishing medium fish and scattered small fish. Good fisherman having the same experiences of many skunk trips. The result is happening before our eyes,a breakdown of the our striper  population to the point of a MORATORIUM being the only option.

This is painful for me because I wouldn't be around for the next recovery 15yrs from now. I have reduced my fishing days to reduce the possible mortality for dink stripers and the occasional large fish. I know this won't help much .but it's all I can do myself.

I hope we can get more people to crimp barbs and respect C/R principles. I will also say for the umpteen time the stripe bass should be given game fish status east coast wide.

Absolutely, I've left this fishery for the most part. This past spring was the first time that I made targeted trips for bass since 2019 and I didn't make a ton of effort with them. The last bass that I caught was 10/2019. I've caught my share of larger fish, I've seen the best fishing for them in my life at this point. I will never seen better fishing again, hell I'll never see decent fishing for them again. I will make some trips this fall but that's going to be more for fly casting practice purposes vs really trying to catch fish.

I've sold 80% of my gear, if not more. i just can't bring myself to dump the rest at this point but I should. I haven't given up on fishing, I just don't see to point of wasting my time with bass. On to better things going forward, time to spend my money on traveling while I still can. This fishery, along with virtually every other shore based target here in the NE is toast.

The asmfc is well on their way to destroying this resource. Their incompetence is simply amazing.

1 hour ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

I was there and my friends took the pics and videos. This guy needs to be blasted in a meeting, as well as the state, for choosing a convicted Multiple-offensive poacher to a position where he has leeway in regulation decisions. He shouldn’t be a voice for anything striped bass related, he should not have a comm license anymore. Without the Chesapeake bay we don’t have a migration. 

I did leave out the criminal stuff.  But over all, it's not hard to argue that he is a true representative of his constituency.

Likie some crackhead in Washington said after Mayor Marion Barry was elected for a second term after spending jail time for a drug conviction, "He's one of us!"

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

The fact that some people were talking about this at the meeting, and no one came back with a "management stability" retort, is also something new, and suggests that managers are becoming concerned.

Wow, they're finally starting to become concerned....

Just a wee bit late there. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

I did leave out the criminal stuff.  But over all, it's not hard to argue that he is a true representative of his constituency.

Likie some crackhead in Washington said after Mayor Marion Barry was elected for a second term after spending jail time for a drug conviction, "He's one of us!"

You make a good point lol. It’s still a bad look and we all know what his priorities are. 

if we did not interrupt their little operation that day, those fish would’ve been illegally caught and then illegally sold.  Or they would’ve been swimming in his little pools he has for his other illegal bass he keeps. 

it’s disgusting. 

Edited by linesiderdemdnj

If the fishery tanks it will be much more difficult to recover than back in the 1980s.  Just look at the advances in electronic fish finding technology since then.  Boating mode will continue to find and pound the remaining bass stocks with relative ease.  

4 mins ago, DZ said:

If the fishery tanks it will be much more difficult to recover than back in the 1980s.  Just look at the advances in electronic fish finding technology since then.  Boating mode will continue to find and pound the remaining bass stocks with relative ease.  

Not to mention the poaching, way more people fishing nowadays not only legally but illegally also. 

The fact that there are only a few guys commenting on this thread says a lot about where peoples priorities are in striper fishing. Guys would rather talk about their plugs and plug bags, their van staals, googans and how hard they sweat ODM over how the meetings are and the status of the fishery as a whole.