stripedbassking

Summer striped bass ASMFC meeting

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

Was a pretty small crowd again during an ASMFC meeting today, wondering if anyone had any thoughts about what was discussed? 

I felt like the usual suspects in the southern range of stripers Like MD are doing all they can to delay and push for more harvest/ avoid cuts.

I did like the thought of actually applying equal cuts across both he Rec sector and the commercial sector. There was also talk of a Max size limit for commercials as well. 
Another interesting point was would existing Conservation Equivalency still be applicable going forward? Because the Amendment says that CE would not be allowed when the stock is deemed overfished. So a lot of moving parts here, and would be interested to see if anyone had any input as well!

I also liked the discussion on the possibility of making the maximum size 36" coast wide similar to what they did with Red Drum years ago.

Thanks for your excellent precis of the meeting, both said & unsaid.

It seems now we all have to keep the comments going to the state managers.

Hopefully, there are equally thoughtful guys like you in the other states.

@CWitek thank you as always for succinctly highlighting important moments of these meetings. I was in and out watching during work, and I agree the prevailing “mood” felt as though managers are bracing for impact. It was interesting and encouraging to hear that some are voicing their support for layered measures on top of bag limits to ratchet down harvest if things are as bad as I believe they will be reported in the next assessment. As always, the usual suspects were pushing against any changes but major props to Emilie Franke for calling out proposed regs that simply amount to different variations of conservation equivalency

I just know in my gut the stock assessment is going to be scary.

There are no “background fish” on the beach. It’s either a skunk trip or big fish until your arms fall off. Nothing in between. 

We see some fish but not like we should from the beach and it's never consistent. 1 night for an hour or so , next 2-3 nights nothing not a bump. No dinks or smaller fish   I'm catching 3 maybe 4 different year classes of fish from teens to 30 lb a few larger but not many. Skunk last 2x

1 hour ago, GTs_and_Stripers said:

@CWitek thank you as always for succinctly highlighting important moments of these meetings. I was in and out watching during work, and I agree the prevailing “mood” felt as though managers are bracing for impact. It was interesting and encouraging to hear that some are voicing their support for layered measures on top of bag limits to ratchet down harvest if things are as bad as I believe they will be reported in the next assessment. As always, the usual suspects were pushing against any changes but major props to Emilie Franke for calling out proposed regs that simply amount to different variations of conservation equivalency

Emilie Franke is proving herself to be one of the most capable cat-herders I have seen at the ASMFC,  She was dropped straight into the fire during the PID hearings, has proven unflappable, and has handled eveerything thrown at her with competence and grace.

Her predecessor, Max Appelman, now with NMFS, also stepped in to voice his objections when folks started proposing things that seemed to be nothing more than new approaches to the same old CE.  He's a good voice to have at the table.

1 hour ago, Pickerel92 said:

There are no “background fish” on the beach. It’s either a skunk trip or big fish until your arms fall off. Nothing in between. 

We've got a pretty good--particularly for midsummer--pick going in the western Sound, but the fish aren't huge--rats, with a reasonable number of 2015s and a few 2011s, but nothing bigger--at least nothing that we landed.  Just about everyting on 1 oz Gibbs pencils right around first light, although sometimes it continues on and off for a few hours.  Fishing from a boat, of course.  Not much public access on that side of the Sound.

Lost a very solid fish up there Saturday morning--one of those bass that I couldn't move, even though I was using an outfit that has easily handled a few small tuna.  It didn't look that big when it nailed the pencil, but it just cruised near the bottom and I couldn;t raise it, then we became unattached.  

But that';s the way it is when the population is low--a few spots still have good fishing, the rest have nearly none.

Agreed that the assessment will probably bring bad news.

5 hours ago, Pickerel92 said:

Yes that’s the super scary part, 5 years from now things could be really really bad

And then you’ve got idiots down south saying we need to commercially take small fish for the plate and bigger sized fish for the grill…… wonder what they are smoking down there….

Charles, thanks as always for taking the time to explain this. 

I’m still way over on the pessimistic side with this. If there’s a way for the asmfc to screw this up, they’ll find it. 

There’s been an actionable issue for almost 10 years now and nothing of substance has been done and the earliest something can be done is for the 2023 season. I don’t know what the yoy will bring in September but I’m guessing it won’t be good. Given past spawning and the current status it’s going to take severe restrictions in order to rebuild the stock in 10 years. I don’t see how it’s even possible and I know the usual children will not be willing to do what is needed. 

I hope I am very wrong here. 

5 hours ago, Kones1 said:

No dinks or smaller fish

This is very disconcerting, and a validation of the poor YOYs we've seen over the past 7 years.  I'm closing in on 300 fish YTD, and have only caught 20 fish 20" or less.  Normally, that population makes up a majority of the fish caught up here...