adam42

I thought this was a surface popper

9 posts in this topic

I bought an entire lot of these on ebay thinking they were poppers. There's no brand markings on them.

They are very heavy (guess is 2+ oz, possibly more) and seem to be made of some hard synthetic.

So I cast it out the other day and it is neutrally buoyant and doesn't pop on the surface but kind of retrieves like a plug.

Anyone know what they are? They look like something Atom makes but I always thought those were poppers.

Image from iOS (21).jpg

Just now, 7 Rivers said:

That is an Atom Popper.

Are they naturally neutrally buoyant and swim underwater or is mine busted?

old atom popper with the "styrofoam" build?    had a few of them from grandfather. wayyyy better than the new chit.

1 min ago, GarbageFish said:

old atom popper with the "styrofoam" build?    had a few of them from grandfather. wayyyy better than the new chit.

definitely feels old, not sure about styrofoam, feels like you could cut glass with the lip of this thing

Looks like an atom striper super to me.  Originally made with wood, then melted Styrofoam and finally plastic.  Sometimes you move them fast and pop aggressively to get it popping.  Once it's up on plane you can slow down.

2 hours ago, adam42 said:

definitely feels old, not sure about styrofoam, feels like you could cut glass with the lip of this thing

It is styrofoam pellets affixed in a plastic urethane material.  Atom Striper Swiper, although there is many knockoffs.  None swim the same as the original with the way the weighting was configured.  They all sink slow or are neutrally buoyant.  Sinking poppers are far more versatile than floating ones.  Swim them slow at night or pop them up top with a high rod tip and faster retrieve in the day.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the info guys, got a whole box of these in different colors and sizes for $14 plus shipping on ebay. Thought they'd just lay flat on the surface so when it was underwater I was very confused.

Appears that they are all the deep nose variant.

Will try that rod tip up and fast retrieval method to keep it along the surface :)

Edited by adam42