titleguy

Rhoddy in September

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Normally, I would spend my September week at the West Branch of the Penobscot chasing salmon and brook trout.  This year, because of a nerve issue in my left leg, I am not super mobile- no balance, not much strength, etc.  Accordingly, I am thinking about mixing it up and taking my boat to Rhode Island to chase stripers, blues and funny fish.  I know next to nothing about where and when- ideas- base of operations, timing would all be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what kind of boat you have but if I had to pick a home base for that time of year it would be Galilee. There are plenty of options for lodging and boat ramps, plus it would put you in close proximity to the area that the Albie's and Bonito's show that time of year. IMO later in September would give you a better chance of success. However predicting when and where those fish show up is extremely difficult. Last year it seemed every time the fishing started to get going a hurricane came by and screwed it all up. Just like going up north your at the mercy of the flows, down here it's sea. If the current amount of bait in the salt ponds and water temp is any indicator it should be good but again these fish are very unpredictable.

Agree with above depending on what boat you have Point Judith is a great spot along the walls or you can head east I did one year and we ended up in Newport catching bonito Albies then school bluefin! 
but the west wall that time of year can be on fire I fish there every year for the past 25 years and almost always see them there starting in mid to late august.

these bonito were caught in mid July 2007 at weekapaug..

BF7A7048-951A-4AD4-B82C-3DED4B915B1E.png

79300789-D7F9-4460-BFA5-EF4F1E4735F5.png

Posted (edited)

That time of year you can pretty much post up in front of Watch Hill light and have action from sunrise to sunset on most days. There are several small reefs and wrecks all within just a few minutes of Watch Hill. 

Edited by Matt7082

5 mins ago, Matt7082 said:

That time of year you can pretty much post up in front of Watch Hill light and have action from sunrise to sunset on most days. There are several small reefs and wrecks all within just a few minutes of Watch Hill. 

I second this, there are so many breachways with long jetty's around there as well.

And don't overlook the ponds, they can be filled with small menhaden that time of year.

bones have shown up (along with a ton of chub mackerel) - albies still have a way I guess but the bait is everywhere.  

Mixed around schools of schoolies during the day currently - I'm guessing with these hot streaks, they're not going anywhere (potential rain on Thursday/Friday).  Backside of Fisher's.  You'll be able to target everything around Fisher's by the time you're thinking of getting down here from pretty much any RI waters. The breachways never disappoint in September.  Small white flies with a little sparkle! Message me when you're closer.  I'll give you any up to date reports.  I'm the king of spot burning because I find my own fish and don't mind sharing fish.  Tight lines.

6 hours ago, titleguy said:

Normally, I would spend my September week at the West Branch of the Penobscot chasing salmon and brook trout.  This year, because of a nerve issue in my left leg, I am not super mobile- no balance, not much strength, etc.  Accordingly, I am thinking about mixing it up and taking my boat to Rhode Island to chase stripers, blues and funny fish.  I know next to nothing about where and when- ideas- base of operations, timing would all be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

@titleguy When ya planning on going, pal? A few of us will be up there for the new moon at the end of that month.

Including me! I'll be there the last week of September for a solid week. With the way warmer temps these days ...it should still be prime time for Stripers.

14 hours ago, MikeMc said:

@titleguy When ya planning on going, pal? A few of us will be up there for the new moon at the end of that month.

Looking at 19th-24th.  This is in early planning stages.  

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2022 at 1:45 PM, titleguy said:

I am thinking about mixing it up and taking my boat to Rhode Island to chase stripers, blues and funny fish.  I know next to nothing about where and when- ideas- base of operations, timing would all be greatly appreciated.

Follow this vessel around all day. The guy is always on fire?

289254429_5414406531937680_5755887739564245381_n.jpg

IMG_2697.JPG

Your weather is your indicator , sometimes storms 300 miles away will shut down the stripes and your options will be bay blues .. if you like that