luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - August 2022

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

...Summer doldrums are in full effect, looking forward to the next few months!

In Dewey for the week next week. Looking forward to some early and late hours on the beach or inlet. Thinking of taking DSSP kayak intro course one morning. Been thinking that would be interesting on the back bays for a change up.

Got into Ribbonfish near the Verrazano Bridge.  First time catching them they sure do tear up tackle.

I saw an osprey catch a ribbonfish offshore from Sea Colony in Bethany last week. It landed on the roof of a beachfront home. I think it was exhausted from flying with the long fish and was also not quite sure what to do with it. It rested for about 5 minutes, kept looking around and at the fish, and then flew off again. It was definitely not as aerodynamic to fly with as a bunker.

There seem to be a million of those ribbon, or Cutlass fish around this year. I went out on the Princess, and caught a bunch of them.

11 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Anybody catch ribbonfish from shore? I’ve only ever caught them from a charter boat with peanut bunker. 

Seen em in some of the VA inlets. You get good wind and no rain the water's clean enough they come in to chase bait. Even later into the year.

On 8/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

Anybody catch ribbonfish from shore? I’ve only ever caught them from a charter boat with peanut bunker. 

Caught a couple from the Oceanic Pier on Speck Rigs.

And on the Ocean Princess while CBassing.

On 8/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

Anybody catch ribbonfish from shore?

plenty of videos of catching them WAY up inside Houston harbor

I’m logged in figured I’d chime in here.    Not much of a report but did dipnet some soft shell crabs.   Also, I have also observed the abundance of spot this year.    In OCMD. - got tons of them in the cast net everywhere all summer.   Then was at slaughter beach (hope not a burn). And was cast netting tons of 4-9 inch spot.    Have caught some occasionally on hook and line there over the years but to get them so thick in the cast net was something I’ve never seen there before. Ah, and one 2 foot sand shark.   Tight lines all!

14 mins ago, Jollywan said:

Then was at slaughter beach (hope not a burn). And was cast netting tons of 4-9 inch spot.    Have caught some occasionally on hook and line there over the years but to get them so thick in the cast net was something I’ve never seen there before. Ah, and one 2 foot sand shark.   Tight lines all!

I have never got into any fish on a Delaware Bay beach. Every time I try to fish one the weeds are so thick it feels like your dragging an umbrella through the water on the retrieve. I guess there are fish up there after all haha.

It is certainly a hit or miss fishery.   Like anywhere though if you put your time in and kinda know what to look for and what to do you can catch fish.   In high school we used to wade out on the flat this is slaughter beach at high tide and catch sea trout on ultralights and little bucktails.  Plenty of skunks abounded but had the occasional really nice day with 5-10 trout in 2-3 hours.    

Posted (edited)

MD OSV was a skunk this past weekend.  Beautiful weather, horrible fishing.  

The meteor showers at night helped make up for the horrible fishing, before the full moon came out of the clouds.

Edited by spinr0k

1 hour ago, spinr0k said:

MD OSV was a skunk this past weekend.  Beautiful weather, horrible fishing.  

The meteor showers at night helped make up for the horrible fishing, before the full moon came out of the clouds.

I had a similar experience last year. Mid-late October, didn’t catch much other than a few whiting, but the stars were bright and there were shooting stars all over the place. Made the night a lot more enjoyable.