Sudsy

August 2022 Fishing reports

Rate this topic

192 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Sheisty said:

Jelly fish poop.

LOL, I've always wondered wth those were.

Jelly babies :shaky:

11 hours ago, DelP said:

NoMoCo out front this morning 0700-0930. Beautiful morning. Clean water. Small surf. Lots of life in the ocean. Several schools of bunker were splashing about 100-150 yards out and spread out over 1/4 mile or so but didn’t seem scared of much except for a few birds picking them off. I went for fluke. Caught two cownose rays and 15 fluke. Unfortunately, the biggest fluke was 16”.  About an hour into my morning I was keeping an eye on the bunker when I noticed a pod of dolphins rapidly approaching from the south. I’ve never witnessed them traveling at that rate before. I wish I had the wherewithal to start recording with my phone cause they started obliterating the bunker. Many of the dolphin fully breached the water. It was awesome! After a few minutes they continued north. After another hour I saw the bunker to my north getting demolished by something. I assume it was bluefish but some of the splashing reminded me of an Albies blitz. They were too far out to cast to. Is it too early for albies? I started catching them last year at the end of August into September. 

If they were adult bunker probably not albies, most likely bluefish or sharks.   Lots of shark blitzes on bunker in july/august these days.

15 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

Tuesday water was stained in the back but nothing out of the ordinary. Wednesday out front mid county high tide it was that real bright green with orange slim on the rocks. There was also a lot of junk floating in the mix.

Orange? That can't be good. :shock:

Past few weeks have been a bit of a drag out front. This time of year i like to focus on fluke and the macs as its easy fishing and i can travel really light. S wind has made the Mac fishing impossible, and the fluke are all teeny tiny. The other night i got a hit every other cast for 1.5 hours and maybe landed 3 fluke, all of which were sub-12 inches.

Found a rock pile that’s been holding Triggers and have had a lot of fun with those on light tackle the past few days, until this morning. The water was tangibly darker/greener and the bite shut off compared to earlier this week. Gentleman next to me at this particular spot has been fishing topwater at first light - he’s been picking schoolie bass.

3 hours ago, SurfMonster said:

Am I the only one having fun every day on topwater out front?  Love my cocktails couple almost jumbos mixed in.

Txt me when they hit me 15#

7 hours ago, bdowning said:

Orange? That can't be good. :shock:

There is a bacteria that oxidizes iron in freshwater streams. Maybe similar bacteria in saltwater and those jetty rocks have little iron in them. 

probably be getting upper 70s water soon. Hope we don’t start getting nasty  alfalfa blooms they get down south

Report from yesterday morning MoCo out front. Got two nice whacks on a small glider before dawn but no hooks ups. Switching to jigging and it was the typical as of late shortie fluke bonanza. Did get a few up to 16”, which is better than it has been. Bite died when the tide turned, I had to go anyway. Clean water by me. 

Whale came through right at sunrise and put on a show. Never saw one from shore before so that was cool. Tons of dolphins. Many acres of something were busting 3-400 yards out for well over an hour. Never got close. 

46 mins ago, Potato Caboose said:

B737D6A2-AA54-4A67-B172-F151B052B149.jpeg.28ef249b8ed8ce53d90cabd3093c0a19.jpeg2 keepers half dozen throwbacks couple small blues and some hungry baby s abase. Also fought a huge ray for half an hour. Took me for a couple rides. 

CMC in back in kayak. Some decent swirls and splashes around.

You should always put seawater in with the ice in your cooler.  Saltwater slush keeps your fish perfect until you clean it.

NoMoCo this morning. Trifecta. Blues, fluke, and sea robin. Walked out to a sandbar to cast into deeper water since it was low tide. I was thigh deep and it was nonstop rays swimming past me from 1-3’ wingspan. Whale in the distance topped off the morning.

12 hours ago, Spigola said:

You should always put seawater in with the ice in your cooler.  Saltwater slush keeps your fish perfect until you clean it.

Sounds good thank you. I had that ice at home. What I normally bring is water frozen in used quart containers. Keeps drinks cold and any fish till I get to a Wawa on way home. I fill couple with filtered water and take on yak to drink as ice melts.

665307C4-CC10-4255-8C60-5F987C633E6B.jpeg