Sudsy

August 2022 Fishing reports

Rate this topic

192 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Snuck out last night for about an hour just before high tide.  Walked the surfline and hopped up on a pile of rocks or two. Most of the time I was using a 5-in black Mambo minnow,  fishing it dead slow looking for bass. Wasn't having much luck. One cast I reeled in a little faster and the mambo was attacked by a feisty 16-in bluefish.  Since that's my last black Mambo minnow, I immediately took it off and switched to other plugs. No other action after that, or before that. Nice night to be out barefoot on the sand anyway.

Edited by JimK

@Sudsy This thread was started about 6 hours after you had already started an Aug reports thread.  Can you merge the two, or take 9 posts in this one and move em into the other and lock this one?

30 mins ago, fishless said:

@Sudsy This thread was started about 6 hours after you had already started an Aug reports thread.  Can you merge the two, or take 9 posts in this one and move em into the other and lock this one?

Ah nuts, didn't see that

I'll fix it

On 8/1/2022 at 6:01 PM, FishingmaniYaks said:

Well hit some rocks by an inlet somewhere in NJ and really had some fun with the pigs(blackfish). It was a blast drop and reel and the weather played a big part giving clean rolling water. Other than getting wet and the muggy air it was a solid day for sure. We put all keepers back into the water and most were females with a lot still having eggs but there were some white chins males. Wish that most people would do that but they don’t and to each his own. Seen a dude let a stud over 20” go. Cool part was seeing a shark go out the water pretty close to the inlet also. 
Sorry no pictures because every rock has eye balls on them and there is plenty of places to find these fish. Have fun and bring your kids to battle these fish. It’s fun and addicting.

Plz pick me up next time

17 hours ago, nj charlie said:

Wonder if the rain pushed this crap out of the millstone down the raritan into the bay.  

In years past the nasty bay water was driving solely by heat which made the bay produce its own bloom.  Soon after we had massive kill off of peanuts almost everywhere.   With the way the water has been looking I think we're not too far away from this in my opinion. 

Report from yesterday morning; fished a northern Ocean County beach, incoming water, a few short fluke on a jighead/GULP combo. Switched over to a small deadly dick after the GULP was cut in half by an obvious bluefish bite. Caught a #2 bluefish on the first cast, lost 2 more in the wash.

36 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

We gotta arrange a time. Gotta get you into it. It’s addicting during summer.

Fine. But do you guide for snappers

Back bay party boat. Captain said pull em up we're done but I had to wait 15 seconds extra since I had a feeling. Got a 16 7/8". So that's how my NJ fishing career ends, with a barely short fluke at the buzzer. No fairy tale ending here boys lol 

MoCo  4:00 PM to 7:30 PM    The water was clean and there was just enough wind to ripple the water.   Lots of bait milling around.  Mostly Peanuts and spearing. Surprisingly there were very few Cownose rays and the ones that I saw were juvenile cownose rays.   The first 2 hours were dead just happy bait.  As the tide bottomed out Cocktail Blues started blitzing on the bait.   I was getting hits almost every cast. The last hookup I had felt stronger and took some short runs.  It dove right at the rocks and then hook pulled out so I didn't see it   I wonder if it was a small Cownose ray..  I figured one more cast before I had to go and as I retrieved the lure up onto the rocks it bounced off the clip.   Somehow my clip must have opened up ...     Then it was time to go ..