Sudsy

August 2022 Fishing reports

Rate this topic

192 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

Strange water out there this morning with the ENE wind.  Looked like we are in some kind of algae bloom with the color of the water almost florescent green and cloudy.  With all of the sand movement in the past couple of weeks it is tough to find any structure to produce rips.  There are spots of deeper water, but everything seems to have flatten out.  Didn't see much of a food source today, only a few terns picking off the beach.  Found a few bugs which produced a 25 1/2 incher.  Was the only hit of the morning to kick off August.

DSCF3980.JPG

NoMoCo 0700-0900 today. Cownose Ray that took a solid 10 minutes to reel in. Wasn’t sure how to handle it to try to keep my rig. Finally beached it and got it upside down but couldn’t get my hook out of it’s wing where I snagged it before my braid snapped. Ended up catching 10 fluke ranging from 7-15”. They were spitting up spearing and sand crabs.

Well hit some rocks by an inlet somewhere in NJ and really had some fun with the pigs(blackfish). It was a blast drop and reel and the weather played a big part giving clean rolling water. Other than getting wet and the muggy air it was a solid day for sure. We put all keepers back into the water and most were females with a lot still having eggs but there were some white chins males. Wish that most people would do that but they don’t and to each his own. Seen a dude let a stud over 20” go. Cool part was seeing a shark go out the water pretty close to the inlet also. 
Sorry no pictures because every rock has eye balls on them and there is plenty of places to find these fish. Have fun and bring your kids to battle these fish. It’s fun and addicting.

Fished with my kid an hour this eve. Incoming, some light wave action with enough whitewater to suffice. Lots of sand crabs and baby clams. Not enough structure though I found a little rip. Bunker way beyond casting as I saw the birds going out and an Osprey coming back with one. One whack and a decent hit that’s it. My kid loved the sand crabs. I should have  tried them.

1 hour ago, Potato Caboose said:

Happy birthday Jerry

47 mins ago, Jdeadman66 said:

On this date in 1942 Jerry Garcia was born. 

Happy Birthday Jerry   

I was just listening to some soundboards from the Matrix in 68.   

Dark Star -> Death Letter Blues   Wow ...

3 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Happy Birthday Jerry   

I was just listening to some soundboards from the Matrix in 68.   

Dark Star -> Death Letter Blues   Wow ...

I was listening to Althea. That song grabs. 

Big skunk this morning.  Didn't see anything that had the look of fish being around.  Water has cleaned up but didn't see any bait around.  Not the greatest morning tides and a quiet surf doesn't help.  Will be on a break tomorrow with it being the wife's birthday.

On 8/1/2022 at 4:31 PM, MC55 said:

Strange water out there this morning with the ENE wind.  Looked like we are in some kind of algae bloom with the color of the water almost florescent green and cloudy.  With all of the sand movement in the past couple of weeks it is tough to find any structure to produce rips.  There are spots of deeper water, but everything seems to have flatten out.  Didn't see much of a food source today, only a few terns picking off the beach.  Found a few bugs which produced a 25 1/2 incher.  Was the only hit of the morning to kick off August.

DSCF3980.JPG

Wonder if the rain pushed this crap out of the millstone down the raritan into the bay.  

73DA10F2-F3C2-4C69-912B-095FA16BE6B1.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Late report from last night. Snagged my first cow nose of the year. Was able to land it but lost my teaser as a receding wave just took the ray and didn’t get a good grip on it and ripped the leader. Ah well, sacrifice to the gods.

Had to be in OC tonight and stopped by for a quick 30 min outing. Light S wind, beginning of incoming, clean cool water. Got 1 lil rat on the sand eel and a bunch of fluke taps. 

Edited by DeeMonee