albacized

Current rods similar to Lami Ron Arra Surf 1083-2

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Looking for a rod to fit a VSX150 - I have a (now discontinued) Lami Ron Arra Surf 1083-2 would like to find something out there that's current today, that would be similar in feel and action...suggestions?

Carbon Surfs from lamiglas. I believe the carbon surfs replaced the surf pros/ron arras and they were built on the same "platform". Based on friends experiences the ron arras all eventually break regardless of how you're fishing it and I hung up mine as soon as I heard that. Hopefully this narrows it down for you.

Closest thing I've found is a Star Rod, 9 ft., it even looks and feels just like a Lami at just over $100. ODM or Century if you want to spend coin, personally I've owned the Century 1145, its 9.5' and doesn't have the backbone or tip strength of the Lami 1083. Currently have the ODM 9 footer, haven't used it yet, feels good swishing it around.  I do fish the Star rod because of the feel though.

Posted (edited)

I have the same rod as well (NGC guides), which i'm still using today.

The Century Stealth S-1 has a similar feel in regards to action, but much lighter in weight/balance.

Another close contender is the Fenwick Saltstick, but those aren't available anymore.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

On 8/1/2022 at 4:47 PM, Inception said:

Based on friends experiences the ron arras all eventually break regardless of how you're fishing it and I hung up mine as soon as I heard that. Hopefully this narrows it down for you.

That wasn't true across the product line. The two 9 foot models broke a lot, and the fast 10' one, I think it was the 1204, also had problems. But the 1322 and the 126 1MH were pretty durable

On 8/1/2022 at 8:07 AM, albacized said:

Looking for a rod to fit a VSX150 - I have a (now discontinued) Lami Ron Arra Surf 1083-2 would like to find something out there that's current today, that would be similar in feel and action...suggestions?

Boy……it would be hard to beat the 9’ Weapon Jr……. I have both rods and the Weapon Jr. throws from 1/4 - 2 oz very nice!!  A crisper version of the 1083.  I must say, I like my factory 1083 so much, I want to have it re-done with a modern upgrade of guides and handle.  One of the better appeals to the Weapon Jr. besides throwing its’ range beautifully, is the unbelievable lightness.  I mean this is truly an all day light tackle beach rod :th:

8 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

That wasn't true across the product line. The two 9 foot models broke a lot, and the fast 10' one, I think it was the 1204, also had problems. But the 1322 and the 126 1MH were pretty durable

Gotta tell ya…….had mine since 2001 and been going strong since for light applications out front.  Key here, as you know, is using these rods for they were engineered for.  I’ve heard from many who have used the Arra line from jetties…..well right off the bat, you’re asking for trouble.

Nevertheless, I’d like to get my factory model redone with upgrades and see how much lighter I can get this rod down to.  I know it’ll throw that much better also.

Just hope now I haven’t jinxed myself with these comments  :th:

I believe the 1083s snapped easier because of their old guide layout; 4 guides if I recall?

The updated NGC with 6 guides + tip should be less prone to breaking.

Mine is still going strong so far.

19 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Bulls Eye!

When Lami were still producing the XRA blanks, I never had a 1083 or 1084 snap after going the custom route. The factory rods were poorly built from my understanding. The guide layout were horrible. 

9 hours ago, Dah seee said:

When Lami were still producing the XRA blanks, I never had a 1083 or 1084 snap after going the custom route. The factory rods were poorly built from my understanding. The guide layout were horrible. 

Bingo !!......Which is why i'd like to have my factory redone.  Although, it's been going strong for some 20 years now...... :shrug: