Machiavelli3

Can someone explain ocean current to me

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

How come when you're on the bow specifically the pulpit and you cast straight into the open water away from the boat it usually comes back towards the boat sometimes on the left or right side. But if you were fishing on the side of the boat the current will take you under the boat or if your on the otherside all the way out.

However when your on the pulpit it always comes back towards the boat but depending on the current it could end up on the right or left side of the boat....but it never takes your line out further.away from.the boat

Edited by Machiavelli3

Wind will effect the boats drift relative to ocean current. 

I assume the boat is not anchored. 

I think it’s because the lure is smaller than the boat and gravity always pulls towards the larger object. 

9 hours ago, Machiavelli3 said:

How come when you're on the bow specifically the pulpit and you cast straight into the open water away from the boat it usually comes back towards the boat sometimes on the left or right side. But if you were fishing on the side of the boat the current will take you under the boat or if your on the otherside all the way out.

However when your on the pulpit it always comes back towards the boat but depending on the current it could end up on the right or left side of the boat....but it never takes your line out further.away from.the boat

That always happened to me when drifting dead bait using circle hooks, switched to a different style hook and it never happened again.