dropped9

Fishing Point Pleasant next week...

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys - The fam and I are headed down to point pleasant next week and I am looking to do some surf fishing at night. I'd like to target blues and or bass from the beach at the hotel.

It's been a long time since I've hit the surf and I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a bait and tackle store that won't rip you off down there. 

I grew up saltwater fishing and do still have my old surf rod n reels and what not. Just so much has changed since I last hit the beach. Circle hooks are mandatory right? What size hooks would you recommend for slinging bunker chunks? Do they sell circle hooks with wire leaders already rigged together or?

Would you recommend bunker this time of year?

Do you think the blues will still be around?

We are going to hit the beach at the hotel we are staying at after 7pm til sometime after sunset.

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to be prepared.

One last question - Which party boat would you recommend for a family of 5? With three kids (7, 13, and 15), that won't break the bank? I can't believe some of them it would cost like 500 bucks for the day! I remember it used to be like 45 a head when I was younger.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, dropped9 said:

One last question - Which party boat would you recommend for a family of 5? With three kids (7, 13, and 15), that won't break the bank? I can't believe some of them it would cost like 500 bucks for the day! I remember it used to be like 45 a head when I was younger.

In that area there are a few party boats to choose from.  Just make sure and check they are sailing for what you want.  Some are going a little further offshore for bottom critters and it may be a longer and more expensive day.  If half day fluking is what you want I would recommend the Jamaica II just over the bridge in Brielle.  You will get away at $60/head and probably less if you book online. (still not cheap, but less than the $90-100 that a full day boat will cost)

Fair warning the persistent south wind has taken a toll on fluking, especially Manasquan inlet and south.  The north boats seem to be doing better.

Others will (may) speak about the shore fishing, but I would try the inlet.

Posted (edited)

2nd for the Jamaica II half day trips at 8am, 2pm. Morning trip is my preference to avoid the afternnoon heat with your kids. Also, specials you can take advantage of. 

MIDWEEK SPECIALS - BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND

TUESDAY - Kids 12 and under FREE with an Adult

WEDNESDAY - “Ladies Day” - Ladies 1/2 Price when accompanied by a significant other

THURSDAY - Seniors/ Military - Double Discounted Fare - ($10 off instead of $5)

Edited by Mike

Thank you so much guys! I truly appreciate your input. Like I said, I grew up in the city and fished saltwater most of my life. But haven't been back to the beach in a long time. 

I have such fond memories of chucking diamond jigs out for blues and bass. I want the kids to experience fishing on a party boat for sure! 

I would second Fishermans source also Fishermans den in belmar 

yes, circle hooks… for anything alive or dead. Bunker, peanut bunker or mole crabs. If your going for shark, I have seen wire and circle hook at Wally World but also I’m sure at the local shops 

have fun!!

Fishermans Supply in Point is your best bet for a local B & T. Grumpys or Betty and Nicks in Seaside if your looking to take a ride. I hate to say your wasting your time for bass and blues at night (or day) but we are in the summer doldrums which includes a lot of hot weather and little action, its tougher than a tough pick. Your a month or three early, past few yaers its been barren until early November when we get a fall run for a week or so. Discouraging and alarming and not anything like the old days you remember. i wish ya' luck, personally I'd go crabbing or snapper fishing in the river/bay.

1 hour ago, Highlander1 said:

Fishermans Supply in Point is your best bet for a local B & T. Grumpys or Betty and Nicks in Seaside if your looking to take a ride. I hate to say your wasting your time for bass and blues at night (or day) but we are in the summer doldrums which includes a lot of hot weather and little action, its tougher than a tough pick. Your a month or three early, past few yaers its been barren until early November when we get a fall run for a week or so. Discouraging and alarming and not anything like the old days you remember. i wish ya' luck, personally I'd go crabbing or snapper fishing in the river/bay.

Snapper fishing wouldn't be bad for the kids. I could bring some of my lighter tackle to do that. Any places you can recommend near pt pleasant to do so? What about crabbing? Maybe some place we can do both near our hotel. Any suggestions would be great! I'd prefer to stay closer to pt pleasant. 

Posted (edited)

I strongly suggest you bring the lighter gear and hit both the surf, inlet, and Manasquan river.  Small 1/4 oz or lighter jigs tipped with Gulp, Killies, or squid should get you into fluke.  Also, don’t overlook an ultralight rod, small size 10 hooks with small bits of squid with a small split shot.  Drop that around structure for panfish sized Sea Bass. Lot’s of fun for the kids….and adults alike.  You can use that same setup in the surf with fishbites for northern kingfish.  Target the 4-hr window before and after high tide if possible.  Lastly, bring small kastmasters or long shank hooks for snappers if they’re around.  Good luck and have fun! 

Edited by Loudog

You catch all the fluke you want (have to weed through shorts but there are keepers to be caught) fishing the wall in Manasquan Inlet. I've found that live killies on a light wire hook with a light leader works best. Some days they bite on the incoming and other days the bite on the outgoing. #1-3 bluefish can be caught from he surf in the morning and late afternoon throwing small metals. Jamaica II & Gambler are both 1/2 day boats targeting fluke. I usually fish the Queen Mary, he's been targeting bluefish then finishing the day off with a sea bass drop or 2.

Most of the beaches in Point Pleasant are closed to people after 7 pm . If you want to surf fish you have to go to the south end or fish the river. 

3 mins ago, Irishfire18 said:

Most of the beaches in Point Pleasant are closed to people after 7 pm . If you want to surf fish you have to go to the south end or fish the river. 

From what I read you can be on the beach if you are fishing. The place we are staying has a private section.

8 hours ago, dropped9 said:

From what I read you can be on the beach if you are fishing. The place we are staying has a private section.

Then your south of the boardwalk and it’s allowed.

On 8/2/2022 at 2:30 PM, dropped9 said:

Snapper fishing wouldn't be bad for the kids. I could bring some of my lighter tackle to do that. Any places you can recommend near pt pleasant to do so? What about crabbing? Maybe some place we can do both near our hotel. Any suggestions would be great! I'd prefer to stay closer to pt pleasant. 

For crabbing, you probably have to head south to someplace like Dock Outfitters. I believe they rent skiffs for crabbing. Hey Mario, @Glub, can you give this guy a suggestion?