Quonnie

Yamaha VST filter

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anybody else have an issue with this filter 

it is in the fuel pump I am told it because of the ethanol in the gas it causes the filter to clog up 

Edited by Quonnie
Misspelled word

I have a new filter and will replace next season out of general principle, motor runs great now.

5 hours ago, Quonnie said:

I use Ringfree by Yamaha

I've also used ring free also iin addition to startron in my fuel since I bought motor 5 years ago. Yamaha mechanic who sold it to me recommended both. So far so good

Posted (edited)

On 7/31/2022 at 10:22 PM, Quonnie said:

Anybody else have an issue with this filter 

it is in the fuel pump I am told it because of the ethanol in the gas it causes the filter to clog up

I ruined a fuel pump in a 200 HPDI (a $1000 part!) because I ignored mine……or so I was told.
Had an issue with engine surging in swells another time one partially plugged.  I change them now about every 3 years or so.  Pretty simple once you get to the VST tank.  You’ll likely need a new gasket, however, and my memory is that they were pricey.

Edited by numbskull

Use ring free, the problems come up when you don't use the fuel up and it sits around for a month or more in the summer heat.  I have the issue because I have  55gal tank and don't use more than 10-12 gals a week.  I have starting to add stabil with the partial fillups,so far ok..

E-10 is a curse for outboard motors.  In FL I can run straight gas a have no problems with the heat and no additives used except ring free.

I have had similar stupid ethanol issues with mine. Who thought it was a good idea to put a filter under the manifold. Guess they need the maintenance money too.