bob_G

Morgan silver dollars

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

I've got a small bag full of Morgan silver dollars I've been hanging onto for about 60 years. My grandfather gave them to me when I was a little kid.  My father told me to hang onto them because, "someday they'll be worth a fortune".

Wrong again dad.  I've hung onto them for almost 60 years. They're all between 1885-1905.  Price hasn't changed much in decades. From what I can ascern they might be between $17-20 each. 

60 years is enough. Is it time to sell them, and move on?

Hold on to your silver and other precious metals. They are all going to go up as the dollar tanks. Also invest heavily in lead and brass. When **** really hits the fan they will be worth more than anything else.

Jim

11 mins ago, bob_G said:

I've got a small bag full of Morgan silver dollars I've been hanging onto for about 60 years. My grandfather gave them to me when I was a little kid.  My father told me to hang onto them because, "someday they'll be worth a fortune".

Wrong again dad.  I've hung onto them for almost 60 years. They're all between 1885-1905.  Price hasn't changed much in decades. From what I can ascern they might be between $17-20 each. 

Give them to your grandkids, should you be so fortunate. 

Maybe dad was just off by a generation or two.

Same here have about 15 pounds of them my dad collected Morgan’s, Buffalo nickels, quarters I’m just holding them 

Should have sold in 2012. Not sure why silver isn't appreciating like other precious metal like gold of platinum. It's not a hedge for the falling dollar. Demand destruction. People don't fight vampires no more? Maybe werewolves?

Posted (edited)

The Morgan’s are worth more as a coin than melted silver no?

Edited by Sandflee

Do you have any collectors piece or bag full of silver coins? If **** does hit the fans, I am sure your "collectors" piece will worth more than the spot silver price.

Posted (edited)

6 mins ago, hobobob said:

Do you have any collectors piece or bag full of silver coins? If **** does hit the fans, I am sure your "collectors" piece will worth more than the spot silver price.

No clue I’d have to go thru a few hundred coins to see

Edited by Sandflee

6 hours ago, Sandflee said:

The Morgan’s are worth more as a coin than melted silver no?

Depends on the condition of each individual coin. Silver spot is way down now so melt value is lower for the slabs. One needs to have each coin graded to determine collector value. Don’t try to clean them that lowers the value. There are some good on-line grading guides to do an initial evaluation no need to pay someone or company to do it to start.

9 hours ago, Sandflee said:

No clue I’d have to go thru a few hundred coins to see

It's worth it.  Since he gave you to them back then the condition of them must be pretty good. 

My dad sold off all his silver that he had in the safe for years and gave all the grandchildren cash.

I would have kept it.

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

Hold on to them unless you need the cash badly. They are worth their silver content, like you said $17-$20.

Maybe check the dates and mint marks just in case you have a rare one, though it is not likely. 

5 mins ago, Fishhead7 said:

Hold on to them unless you need the cash badly. They are worth their silver content, like you said $17-$20.

Maybe check the dates and mint marks just in case you have a rare one, though it is not likely. 

Melt value as of today for Morgan’s is $15.65 each

Personally if I was gonna buy the Morgan dollars just for bulk silver I would not pay more than $13 each right now. Be wary of thinking they are worth more than they are in the real world. 

No fortune to be had. Give to a young family member if you have any.