Yo yo or snag and drop

Rate this topic

stifftip

3 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

If you want to get a bunch of freshwater bass guys "worked up" just start a discussion on all the "rubber/plastic " baits found in fish...

Well, I’m not sure that’s really right. Because the vast majority of freshwater bass guys are catch and release. And nobody really knows how many bass are swallowing plastics. Most guys get upset about plastics being thrown in the lake after they get torn up. (No idea why people think it’s ok to do that as if it’s not litter and fish often end up swallowing those plastics sitting on the lake bottom too). 

But it’s just sort of obvious with fishing with other people and seeing how often they end up with gut hooked fish when they throw plastics. (Not to say that it doesn’t happen with myself too from time to time). But some guys will feel that tap-tap-tap. And then they’ll wait a couple more seconds instead of setting the hook quickly. And by that time the fish has swallowed the bait and ends up gut hooked. 

PSegnatelli, yep. You got that right about there often being moral and ethical decisions involved here within the scope of legal fishing.

(*member previously known as 'SoCalStripers')

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I constantly find soft plastic lures in fish.  Can't imagine what I'm not finding. 

U know it's rampant when you gut a trout that's been in that water only a few weeks and it already has a trout magnet in it's guts.  

We are plagued with legal yet immoral decisions daily.  This is no different.  

It's sad, but a solid portion of the population DGAF about anything but themselves and how they can propel themselves forward by any means necessary.  

That is true. Unfortunately fishing attracts a lot of scumbags with the DGAF attitude. These same people don’t have the ability to think/plan more than 5 minutes in the future which is why they think nothing of throwing their trash on the ground or in the water or care about what happens to that weighted and skewered bait after they hook a fish and another eats it. 

The practice of yo-yoing got its first black eye in the late 70s.  Back then, virtually 100% of the bass were shipped to NY. Almost none consumed in local Cape restaurants, and you never saw them for sale in markets.

It's was the fish cutters at Fulton's in NY who began finding hardware in the striper's bellies. Couple of the cutters were striper fishermen. So they opened up a couple they just filleted, and found them loaded with sinkers, spark plugs, and rerod. :eek:

It didn't take long for word to get around.

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 hour ago, finefish said:

Thread should be deleted if you actually care about the well being of the bass. 

I think the type of people inclined to do this aren't waiting to stumble upon this in some thread. They've likely moved on to worse things already. 

It's just a step above fishing with dynamite.

3 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

What's the point of the skewer

You run it through the fish lengthwise to keep the fish from curling up.

Last year or the year before there were a number of juvenile white sharks washed up on the beach that died after biting off some guys yoyos in CCB.  The skewers were sticking out their sides. 

I have caught fish that had skewers sticking out of them.

Didn't MA or RI ban yoyo-ing a bunch of years back but then rescinded ban? 

DITCH TROLL

31 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

It's just a step above fishing with dynamite.

You run it through the fish lengthwise to keep the fish from curling up.

Last year or the year before there were a number of juvenile white sharks washed up on the beach that died after biting off some guys yoyos in CCB.  The skewers were sticking out their sides. 

I have caught fish that had skewers sticking out of them.

Didn't MA or RI ban yoyo-ing a bunch of years back but then rescinded ban? 

The way you used to do it is banned.  If the skewer and weight or whatever is being used is attached to the mainline it's legal.  That way if the pogie falls off when you get a fish or gets your bait and not the hook the skewer and weight are retrieved.  Interesting about the sharks but it makes sense. 

10 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

I think part of your question is why snag and drop is not legal and it is not the lead (yet) but the fact you are not using a circle hook, which is mandatory for bait fishing...

Circle hooks are NOT required by commercial fisherman on a commercial day   Read the regulation  no mention of lead for yo-yoing anywhere