JBreese1

My replica cannon build, in process photo's

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

If you came across a cannon barrel could you use it? I guess it would have to be plugged. 

i know they are out there. My friend had a couple barrels and a reproduction 8 pounder. It was fun firing them but this was in PA in the 90s. 

8 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

Outstanding job.

Only thing I might have done different is turn the cannon out of a solid piece of wood.

Mythbusters did that with a big spade bit and log. Had a smithie do the iron banding work

My father always had some cannons. Brother got the 3' cast iron(?) barrel on oak carriage. I got the turned 14" brass cannon with carriage. Mine fires 12 gauge blanks, with mallet to drive firing pin. 36 incher is a black powder fed with damp newspaper rammed down the barrel. Every fourth of July in the early sixties we would attend a cannon shoot at a family friends house. Usually eight or more of the three footers. 

Nice build with limited resources!

IMG_6616.jpg

19 hours ago, JBreese1 said:

Next are the wheels I purchased through Amazon. They are 30" where the full size 1841 six pound field gun had 58" wheels, so my replica is roughly 1/2 scale. Here are the wheels as purchased, the decorative miniature barrels I bought at Hobby Lobby. The barrels cut in half with plywood circles epoxied to them and drilled for the axle. Last pic, finished wheels waiting for sanding and stain.

hub.jpg

wheels.jpg

wheel3.jpg

wheel hub.jpg

cut hubs.jpg

Pretty cool

If going outside as I think you said, I'd coat those wheels (and everything else) with a thin epoxy to seal and weatherproof.  Something tells me those wheels won't last long outside.

Epoxy isn't UV stabilized, so maybe a coat of varnish or something afterwards.

36 mins ago, makorider said:

Pretty cool

If going outside as I think you said, I'd coat those wheels (and everything else) with a thin epoxy to seal and weatherproof.  Something tells me those wheels won't last long outside.

Epoxy isn't UV stabilized, so maybe a coat of varnish or something afterwards.

gellcoat!

I got to play with my build a little today. I had the same concerns as Makorider about the wheels holding up outdoors so I came up with a fix that along with the staining and varnishing I plan on doing should help with their ability to hold up outdoors. I used UV rated construction epoxy under pressure to fill all the joints and seams on the wheel hubs and rims. I also drilled and tapped my lavatory faucet knob to fit my elevation screw I made out of an C-Clamp.  Hopefully tomorrow I will finish melding all the sharp corners and sanding and apply my first coat of stain.

epoxied wheel.jpg

epoxied wheel2.jpg

knob new.jpg

knew knob3.jpg

knob installed.jpg

Looks perfect for a butt pirate. What size batteries does it take? :point:

Jim

6 mins ago, JBreese1 said:

Looks perfect for a butt pirate. What size batteries does it take? :point:

Jim

Honestly it's a tight fit.

GUEST_e6956ef9-1b86-45b4-88a4-18db87853c4f (1).jpeg