JBreese1

My replica cannon build, in process photo's

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

OK, As promised I here is a dedicated thread of my replica cannon build as I was building it.

First up, the drawing I used to keep everything in proper proportions. There were no dimensions so I asked for help here on how to scale everything to my wheels.

Screenshot 2022-07-29 093357.jpg

Posted (edited)

Next are the wheels I purchased through Amazon. They are 30" where the full size 1841 six pound field gun had 58" wheels, so my replica is roughly 1/2 scale. Here are the wheels as purchased, the decorative miniature barrels I bought at Hobby Lobby. The barrels cut in half with plywood circles epoxied to them and drilled for the axle. Last pic, finished wheels waiting for sanding and stain.

hub.jpg

wheels.jpg

wheel3.jpg

wheel hub.jpg

cut hubs.jpg

Edited by JBreese1

Next was the carriage assembly. It is just an 4 X 4 cut to scale length and cut on the correct angle. Then I had to make the cheek pieces-inner and outer. The outer ones should be made out of one solid piece, but the size i needed to keep it scale would have required me to purchase a 2" X 12" for only two 18" pieces. I had some shorts of 2 X 6 saved in my scrap wood pile so I made the outer cheek pieces in two pieces. These were the hardest pieces to get the shapes correct and to scale.

carrage2.jpg

cheekpiece.jpg

inner cheekpiece.jpg

Next was the barrel assembly. Scale dictated a 4" barrel at it's thinnest proportions, flairing at the breech and muzzle. I used 4" PVC cut to the correct length, an 4" to 5" reducer/expander at the muzzle end and a 4" cap with a cheap 2" trailer ball for the breech end. I drilled the hole through the barrel for my faux trunions (an 1-1/4 piece of closet pole I had in my scrap pile). Then I cut a piece of 2" PVC to make the inner barrel sleeve. This was fitted in to the 5" reducer/expander using plywood rings I cut out.

barrel pieces.jpg

barrel pieces3.jpg

sleeved barrel.jpg

sleeve wood.jpg

I made the elevation adjustment screw out of an old C-Clamp I had by cutting the clamp at the threaded end and using epoxy to fasten a small scrap of the cut 4" PVC to the swivel end to create the saddle for under the barrel. I made a keyhole shape opening in the carriage body that the cut C-Clamp fits into.  I ordered a 4 post faucet knob that I will drill and tap tho make a realistic elevation knob.

elavation screw.jpg

Here are some of the pic's of it pre- assembly, then rough assembly. Now it is completely broken down and I will meld a few sharp corners, sand everything, stain and seal the wood pieces and paint the other accoutrements black. I still have handles, chains and other small pieces to finish it off completely.

breakdown.jpg

carrage dissasembled2.jpg

finished1.jpg

finished7.jpg

That thing is cool. Problem is your racing right along with a project that should take a few weeks if not months. Makes life hard for the rest of us men.

Also can that thing shoot taters?

For the same amount of work, you could have had a real functioning canon.

35 mins ago, shb said:

Yeah. Non functional pvc cannon

that don't shoot taters seems pretty

lame.

Posted (edited)

51 mins ago, Bergallmaster said:

Also can that thing shoot taters?

Yes, with very little additional work.

46 mins ago, shb said:

For the same amount of work and 20 X the cost.

Jim

From The NJ gun laws

"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected

any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by

means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or

explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm, which is in the nature of

an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is

a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or

is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile

Not worth loosing my already limited gun rights here in NJ

Edited by JBreese1
DON'T NEED TROUBLE