mikez2

Shrimp ID

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Ok so these actually came from RI. They're in my tank in Ma so the line is blurred. 

I posted here because I know there are shellfish experts here that might know.

 

They came from a breachway that I have been collecting at for over 20 years. I don't remember these being here. Certainly not in the swarming numbers they are now. They're everywhere!

 

My suspicion is they are invasive European grass shrimp. I believe they were first found in Ma about 10 years ago.

 

These are big, meaty, prominent shrimp that live near rocks and current and don't mind swimming in the water column. There were thousands of them. Stripers must be gorging on them.

Break out those shrimp flies!

20220730_205826.jpg

20220730_204128.jpg

20220725_113111.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Ok so these actually came from RI. They're in my tank in Ma so the line is blurred. 

I posted here because I know there are shellfish experts here that might know.

 

They came from a breachway that I have been collecting at for over 20 years. I don't remember these being here. Certainly not in the swarming numbers they are now. They're everywhere!

 

My suspicion is they are invasive European grass shrimp. I believe they were first found in Ma about 10 years ago.

 

These are big, meaty, prominent shrimp that live near rocks and current and don't mind swimming in the water column. There were thousands of them. Stripers must be gorging on them.

Break out those shrimp flies!

20220730_205826.jpg

20220730_204128.jpg

20220725_113111.jpg

How big are they? On the water had a YouTube video of shrimp they were catching and eating last year. Maybe it’s the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, z-man said:

How big are they? On the water had a YouTube video of shrimp they were catching and eating last year. Maybe it’s the same. 

The big ones look big enough to eat.

I'll have to look for that video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran into big shrimp in RI last year that I'd never seen before. Turns out they were brown shrimp. Don't think that's what you have though, as your shrimp look more like the European Grass Shrimp. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter has been seeing larger red shrimp in western LIS the past few times wading the shoreline.  Told her to catch one for me but they're too fast for her.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Whatever they are, they make an awesome bait for White Perch.

Alot of other stuff too. 

 

If you don't think they're big enough, just stack em til they are. Same with the asian shore crabs, tiny silversides etc. 

One might not do it but 5-6 will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rst3 said:

I ran into big shrimp in RI last year that I'd never seen before. Turns out they were brown shrimp. Don't think that's what you have though, as your shrimp look more like the European Grass Shrimp. 

 

Agreed. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a grass shrimp, most likely invasive. None of the native grass shrimp really fit, but I haven't found an identification key. 

European makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Whatever they are, they make an awesome bait for White Perch.

I would think they'd make great bait for lots of things. They're pretty big (not as big as the edible brown shrimp), numerous and easy to catch.

You could catch enough for a day's fishing in a half hour with a sturdy dip net.

I have to think scup and fluke would gooble them up. Other stuff too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Alot of other stuff too. 

 

If you don't think they're big enough, just stack em til they are. Same with the asian shore crabs, tiny silversides etc. 

One might not do it but 5-6 will. 

 

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

I would think they'd make great bait for lots of things. They're pretty big (not as big as the edible brown shrimp), numerous and easy to catch.

You could catch enough for a day's fishing in a half hour with a sturdy dip net.

I have to think scup and fluke would gooble them up. Other stuff too. 

 

I've never tried grass shrimp for other species but i'm sure they would work great.  I'll have to catch some and try it out.

 

When I was a kid, we would net up grass shrimp by the thousands.  On a high-low rig, 3-4 grass shrimp per hook.  They would get even the pickiest White Perch into a feeding frenzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

 

 

I've never tried grass shrimp for other species but i'm sure they would work great.  I'll have to catch some and try it out.

 

When I was a kid, we would net up grass shrimp by the thousands.  On a high-low rig, 3-4 grass shrimp per hook.  They would get even the pickiest White Perch into a feeding frenzy.

These things are big enough that a single large one on a #6 hook would be perfect for perch, scup etc.

I think I'll try it next time I'm there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2022 at 11:00 PM, z-man said:

How big are they? On the water had a YouTube video of shrimp they were catching and eating last year. Maybe it’s the same. 

I've got the same question.  Can you give us something for scale. or an ~ length?

 

Might be time to break out those DOA glow shrimp that have been in my basement for the 15 years since I moved back from FL.

 

sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, sams said:

I've got the same question.  Can you give us something for scale. or an ~ length?

 

Might be time to break out those DOA glow shrimp that have been in my basement for the 15 years since I moved back from FL.

 

sam

I'm in the process of trying to get a photo of one swimming, something they do often. They don't just walk on the bottom. They're too fast for pics though. 

 

I have noticed they are very active at night too.

 

I'll take some for scale shots. I think I exaggerated their size to say eating size after watching the OTW vid. They're not as big as those brown shrimp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.