The TideRunner

Bass Pro Shop

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

It was me. My apologies. I thought we could lock our own threads. Wanted to avoid a flame war. 
Again. Apologies

 

no problem.  we allow that only in the BST, but the site's software doesn't let us restrict users' ability to lock threads in other forums.  flame wars are OK, even encouraged, as long as they're respectful.  :wave:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/31/2022 at 0:22 PM, The TideRunner said:

Recently risked life and limb taking a ride to Bridgeport Bass Pro Shop. And came home empty handed. They were wiped out 

Entire aisles bare. I asked a worker what was up with that. Was told supply chain issues and not enough employees to restock what was available. This past week was in Scarborough Maine. Stopped at Cabelas. Not as bad but still a lot of stuff sold out.

Don’t know how long that Bridgeport store can last the way it has been going.

Most times it has been a ghost town and low inventory. 
Seems they pushed a lot of smaller stores out and then don’t have anything to sell. 
So now where does one go to feed our addiction?

JMO, I always thought that an odd place to build a BPS.

Won't be surprised if it closes permanently.

 

And them being so out of stock shows just how much of their stuff comes from China.

Edited by Gotcow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing they were hoping for a lot of people stopping on the way to RI/Ma as its an easy on/off I-95.  I wouldn't be surprised if it closed either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

JMO, I always thought that an odd place to build a BPS.

Won't be surprised if it closes permanently.

 

And them being so out of stock shows just how much of their stuff comes from China.

Talked to someone I know that works there in receiving. This person told me the problem isn't so much supply, they just don't have the people to move it. To stock the shelves. They told me the freight is just sitting there stacked and all over the place. Apparel is sitting waiting to be moved onto the floor. What I saw the last time I was in there, in the fishing dept. anyway, was boxes of stock sitting on floors in aisles where shelves were totally empty.

I was in there actually looking for a new tackle bag, and usually those shelves are empty. Strangely, those shelves were full, and there were other multiple displays of tackle bag.

What's really strange in the bag I wanted was priced at $119.00, while Amazon had the same one for $79.00  That doesn't seem possible. Either knock off? Though Amazon says they try hard to keep knock offs from being sold, or was this a bait and switch? Selling the same make of bag but in a smaller size. Who knows?

5 hours ago, PaulS said:

I'm guessing they were hoping for a lot of people stopping on the way to RI/Ma as its an easy on/off I-95.  I wouldn't be surprised if it closed either. 

Cabelas isn't too bad of an easy off easy on for MA shoppers passing through? But can BPS actually maintain two stores in CT? The past few times I've been in the Bridgeport store it was dead. Parking lot empty.

They are also soon to open a store in Port Jeff. If you hit the Bridgeport store on weekends you do see a lot of NY license plates. When the Port Jeff Store opens, will the NY people go there?

It does seem as though the Bridgeport store is almost doomed. Maybe once they pay back the city whatever they're owed in tax abatements and deferments they'll fold their tent.

Which would be a shame since they opened to great fanfare. I'm curious as to how Chipotle and Starbucks are doing there. And haven't really noticed the marina across the street if it's full or not. And have heard mixed reviews of the restaurant there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly BPS bought Cabelas after they built the Bport store.  CT might be too small for 2 mega stores like that.  I use to think Cabelas had better stuff than BPS but haven't been in Cabelas in a few years and heard the quality of much of the stuff has been lowered.   No idea on the others stores nearby.  I'm guessing they have been there 6-7 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went once right after they opened and remember aisles and aisles of stuff for things like walleye and crappie, and virtually no real saltwater gear - like they picked-up a store from Wisconsin and plopped it down in CT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

I went once right after they opened and remember aisles and aisles of stuff for things like walleye and crappie, and virtually no real saltwater gear - like they picked-up a store from Wisconsin and plopped it down in CT.

Soft plastics in every conceivable color, jig heads, spinner baits, etc tons of that stuff. Granted, I don’t do a lot of fresh fishing but I do enough to know most of what they had wasn’t that helpful here. 
 

im glad that I saw this thread.  I had a drs appt in Westport the other day and I was thinking about stopping on my way back. This thread saved me the stop and waste of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to go a lot to Providance RI.

Always looking forward to stop at the BPS; that was about 8-9 years ago, just when they opened. It wasn't bad, lots of stuff.

Last time I stop by was about 6 years ago. I was faster out than in

Only thing I bought was a bag of oranges from the lady, under the overpass, on the Stratford avenue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2022 at 2:22 PM, EBHarvey said:

I went once right after they opened and remember aisles and aisles of stuff for things like walleye and crappie, and virtually no real saltwater gear - like they picked-up a store from Wisconsin and plopped it down in CT.

Interesting observation. 

 

3 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

That's no fun.:point: :beers:

My fingers were crossed!

 

6 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I used to go a lot to Providance RI.

Always looking forward to stop at the BPS; that was about 8-9 years ago, just when they opened. It wasn't bad, lots of stuff.

Last time I stop by was about 6 years ago. I was faster out than in

Only thing I bought was a bag of oranges from the lady, under the overpass, on the Stratford avenue.

 

Used to buy really big watermelons in that same spot years back. Colder months a mile or so up Stratford Ave. you could buy Virginia hams, huge sweet potatoes, collards etc.

On 8/5/2022 at 5:19 PM, Drew C. said:

Soft plastics in every conceivable color, jig heads, spinner baits, etc tons of that stuff. Granted, I don’t do a lot of fresh fishing but I do enough to know most of what they had wasn’t that helpful here. 
 

im glad that I saw this thread.  I had a drs appt in Westport the other day and I was thinking about stopping on my way back. This thread saved me the stop and waste of time. 

A couple more exits and you could have visited Fisherman’s World in Norwalk.

I like soft plastics jig heads spinner baits

Im a Bass fisherman but I can make all that stuff. 
Line, rods, reels- not so much 

So you almost are forced to buy from online sellers. Too bad because I lived for those mom pop bait and tackle shops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

That's no fun.:point: :beers:

 

15 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

 

 

My fingers were crossed!

 

I should hope so.:point::beers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bass Ackwards said:

 

I should hope so.:point::beers:

Let's see, what did the nuns and brothers call me? Oh yeah."incorrigible"

Maybe that's why those GSP handlers couldn't wear me down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.