t_man7

What makes a good innovator of unique plugs?

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On 8/2/2022 at 11:55 AM, norcalkat said:

Then is the design of my 2 piece glide bait.  Majority of the glide baits out there are designed for LMB and people add beefier hooks for stripers but that changes the swim on the bait because it was most likey tuned on lighter hooks.  A lot of the times the hardware on them bends or twist or breaks.  So when I designed this bait it was the intention to handle big fish in the 30-50lb class and stay true no matter how many 100s of fish it caught.  I tuned these with the hardware its intended to use, no expense was sparred, best of the best.  3 years in the making and barely getting finalized.  

I've been searching for this for years! They flat out hammer glide baits, but even the largest I've fished can only handle 1/0 or maybe 2/0s before the weight and drag kills the swim.  My compromise for action and striper abuse has been single inlines on assist cord or braid soft swivels for a longer drop length. Works well for slower wide glides around big fish, but I REALLY miss a 3/0 or 4/0 treble when they only want to whack it at top speed.

When do we get to see the swim video? I like what you did with the head taper and stoked to see a pin in that joint.

Not to derail. I agree with all the cross over ideas but think every truely great invovative plug has a clear purpose to solve a specific problem. In doing so it fills a niche hole in the arsenal. 

With the glide bait for example, we have hundreds of plugs for aggressive feeding fish.  The glide bait hangs darts and swims like nothing else.  A little bit of sluggo, darter, spook and glider all in one giant meal.  When they're keyed on big baits and neutral, staging and not actively feeding, it simply triggers bites when nothing else will.

Edited by Bait Tailer

23 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Go fishing, find a need for something, make it.

Fishing in Montauk, they wanted peanut swimmers, the school moved off the reef out of reach of all the regular swimming plugs - so I went home and made this (casts like a bomb with a tight swimming action)

62ebff05dfca7_20211002_065046(1).jpg.0d9e5cf8e22897c5fac68671227debec.jpg

I did the same, but found it had too much roll and wouldn't bite in a good current.

So I came up with this. Hard to see in the pic, but it's turned, but has flat sides. 

I can make it run on top or down to 2 feet based on the line-tie angle and it holds in current.

2 hours ago, 8 & Bait said:

Try not measuring anything. Let your own neurons do the work.

That is good advice, it worked for me last night.  I sat for a while brainstorming.  Didn’t like how much the glider I had was rolling so I tweaked it.  Ended up making something totally different but it’s interesting.

I’m still pretty new to this and have a lot of figuring out to do but anytime I tried to copy another plug I had mixed results. Most were decent and useable but not quite as good as the originals. I do much better when I kind of wing it. Start with an idea of what I want it to do and build up from there. There’s been some duds doing that too but there has been some really good ones, then I just make more of them and keep making little adjustments. As far as a totally original idea for a plug, I’m not there yet. 

Posted (edited)

One thing they do, read about it in People or something, is lateral thinking. You try to get creative and out of a rut or pattern by using unusual ways of thinking. Like you would say I want to make a plug like a Porsche 911. Or let's say I could make this glider be a George glider or an Elaine glider...what would those look like. I think you're supposed to have goals in mind and then work towards them like a brainstorming exercise. Look it up online. 

I'm off to build a George glider I think LOL.  Although now I'm thinking most of my gliders turn out Georges ha ha. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

On 8/5/2022 at 3:13 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

One thing they do, read about it in People or something, is lateral thinking. You try to get creative and out of a rut or pattern by using unusual ways of thinking. Like you would say I want to make a plug like a Porsche 911. Or let's say I could make this glider be a George glider or an Elaine glider...what would those look like. I think you're supposed to have goals in mind and then work towards them like a brainstorming exercise. Look it up online. 

I'm off to build a George glider I think LOL.  Although now I'm thinking most of my gliders turn out Georges ha ha. 

BBC news:

“How a kingfisher helped reshape Japan's bullet train

How a kingfisher helped reshape Japan's bullet trainClose

Japan's famous bullet train used to make a loud boom when it travelled through tunnels. But, thanks to a spot of bird-watching, an engineer was able to fix the problem after he was inspired by a kingfisher.”

At one point I was reading about fin location and function on fish to try to gain some insight

boatbuilding too

On 8/8/2022 at 2:00 PM, rollincoal said:

At one point I was reading about fin location and function on fish to try to gain some insight

boatbuilding too

Did u do any fin work on plugs? I tried one on a swimbait and one on a weird flounder type thing. Surpising large effect. Tailfins. 

What makes a good innovator of unique plugs?

Not knowing "you can't do that"!  When Fred Smith was in college he presented an idea for an air freight business in a paper for a business class.   The prof told him "you can't do that, it'll never work".  So Fred Smith started FedEx.  

Someone mentioned R&D. That would be a topic all by itself. I was just thinking easy access to different types of water is important. Being able to go through versions of plug really fast important. I have some ideas on that but of course never follow them much. Its easy to want to finish up a plug instead of butchering it for "science". Ha ha. Like one thing I'd like to do is just cut diving planes on a bunch of different plugs to see how that go. But then I wouldn't have any plugs. 

19 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Did u do any fin work on plugs? I tried one on a swimbait and one on a weird flounder type thing. Surpising large effect. Tailfins. 

I haven’t, I am interested in playing around with that.

I tend to think that dorsal fins(controlling roll) and pectoral fins( involved in dive and lift ) might indicate a useful balance point

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, rollincoal said:

I haven’t, I am interested in playing around with that.

I tend to think that dorsal fins(controlling roll) and pectoral fins( involved in dive and lift ) might indicate a useful balance point

Speaking of fins and innovative plugs here's a video of Shimano Waxwing. Have a couple don't use them but they are right thin and cast pretty well and have an interesting swim. 

waxwing_blue_MED.jpg

Edited by TopStriperAngler

On 8/14/2022 at 9:46 AM, Dan Tinman said:

Not knowing "you can't do that"!  When Fred Smith was in college he presented an idea for an air freight business in a paper for a business class.   The prof told him "you can't do that, it'll never work".  So Fred Smith started FedEx.  

Excellent example.

6 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Speaking of fins and innovative plugs here's a video of Shimano Waxwing. Have a couple don't use them but they are right thin and cast pretty well and have an interesting swim. 

waxwing_blue_MED.jpg

Schoolie crushers.  The waxwing boy was a go to with peanuts around.  Not sure how they’re weighted.