t_man7

What makes a good innovator of unique plugs?

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Curiosity, competition, relentless pursuit of perfection,  dissatisfaction, necessity?

Just stirring the pot on how we can make some new plugs.

Tommy

428DDD31-2B5D-428D-9A48-8C26A2ACBEBA.jpeg

Not a plug builder, unfortunately, but as in other areas of life, like scientific advancement, it's usually not an entirely new discovery but builds on past works until a eureka moment and a new discovery is made. So I'd say greater success is likely by modifying designs of existing successful plugs, rather than creating something brand new. Or trying different densities of wood, making bigger or smaller plugs, trying different color combos, adding holes, slopes, grooves to catch the light, different metal lips, etc. Another attribute? Keen observation.  Pasteur observed and postulated chemical isomerism (mirror image molecules) by examining crystals of tartaric acid. Of course, the guy was a genius but in that case it was simple observation that lead to the discovery. So what you may say? Well, sometimes only one form of a chemical isomer is active, the other being either inactive or perhaps 10-20% as active/effective. Just rambling but food for thought. 

It seems difficult, but maybe not impossible, to create a truly new plug, something that no one has ever tried before. Even more difficult to make one that works, and catches.

I think about spinnerbaits, which come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and ways of fishing them. They catch bass in the fresh, but I've never seen one used in the salt. Maybe there is a place for them.

Then you have the plastics revolution, where large manufacturers can have a mold made of something that works, (and sometimes things that don't work), and make bazillions of the things, again, in more shapes sizes and colors than you can dream.

I like the aspect of surf fishing, and plugbuilding, where I'm carrying on a tradition of something that's been going on for centuries, probably since the times when white men met Indians here in America. Ya know, before we started killing them all. But I'm making plugs that work for me, that are a product of my sick and twisted mind, and are probably not the same as the stuff other people are making. Except for the stuff that I've blatantly ripped off from other builders, both long dead and current. Some stuff just works, and we want to catch fish, so.....might as well make some stuff that works.

If you are lucky enough to come up with something that truly works, and is a product of your own thoughts and designs, then, by all means, send me one. :p

Posted (edited)

I love trying to come up with something new and fresh; though as someone once told me when I was trying to play outside the chords, there is also plenty of stuff going on inside the music. That sure pissed me off, still does 

Edited by rollincoal

Posted (edited)

A plug that "does something" during it's presentation that other plugs can't do. Most every plug has "crossover traits" and generally speaking this is why rarely does one type of lure dominate the action except when the crossover traits" can not be duplicated. I believe this is why a traditional needlefish is so effective and why many guys find them effective whether they mimic the present bait or not. I believe the effectiveness is due to the manner in which they allow themselves to be presented. I've never found another type of plug, that in my opinion, can not be "matched" by something else. I also believe this is why many guys find needlefish so frustrating to learn and gain confidence in because it is "different" than most every other style of plug

Edited by SC

Posted (edited)

I think in general needlefish have significantly subdued higher frequency or at least less perceptible higher frequency oscillation than many other plugs. Some tail weighted needlefish I’ve seen wobble as they plane and some center weighted ones have a perceptible higher frequency wiggle more noticeable as the fall in particular 

Edited by rollincoal

On 7/30/2022 at 10:17 PM, t_man7 said:

Curiosity, competition, relentless pursuit of perfection,  dissatisfaction, necessity?

Necessity? Frustration with existing lures? Curiosity on creating something that works better?

I have a few ideas for lures or gear that would either fill a need I have or to make life easier while fishing. I just don't have enough hours in the day to design & prototype something up.  :)

19 hours ago, rollincoal said:

though as someone once told me when I was trying to play outside the chords, there is also plenty of stuff going on inside the music. That sure pissed me off, still does 

so many variables in music. i'm assuming you know of miles davis, the jazz trumpet player? when miles came to prominence be-bop jazz, all fast & furious, was the rage. Miles didn't like playing super fast. He liked playing slower and he loved space between the notes. He completely changed jazz music when he became famous all because he wanted space between his notes.  :)

When I'm working on something new (to me) it's usually to fill a need I have for a certain situation.

Heavy current, small bait etc...

Don't know about innovative. Don't think I've reached that point yet. As far as things that can help make you a better plug builder, a few things come to mind. You have to be able to be self critical of your builds. Really assess whether the plug is all that good, and how can it be improved. Even plugs that you have made for years and had good success with, is there something that you could tweak to make it better? Pay more attention to how your plugs work in various conditions. What do you like/don't like about them? Take a real good look at the places you fish most and the bait that is common there. Then try to come up with a plug (or other lure) that would be optimal given the conditions/bait in that area. Don't be afraid to fail at a build. Every failure is an opportunity to learn something new. Each build you do (e.g., new plug style) will teach you something else about building. In some cases, you may learn something that will help to make an older plug of yours better. Don't be afraid to try a number of different things (e.g., lips, hook sizes, weight amount/location, etc) for a specific style of plug. I find a duplicator real good for this. Turn several bodies that are identical, and then try modifying one thing on each to figure out what each variable does and what works best. Nothing like fishing your own stuff in a variety of conditions/places to teach you about that plug. Try to get your plugs into the hands of other fishermen who are willing to provide some honest feedback, and listen to that feedback.  

Any examples of innovative plug makers come to mind? I heard a podcast with the bottle darter creater that was interesting. 

Who created the bottledarter? Not sure I'd ever bother building one as fish sure do love those Northbars...