Camoroso2006

FRESHWATER trolling rod

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am trying to get into trolling for freshwater stripers from my kayak I have 20lbs mono with 12lbs leader. I will be using live bait with 1oz egg sinkers. I have made a post a few days ago but couldn’t  get one answer. The two rods I am looking at are the

 

Ugly Stik Tiger:  

Length- 7ft
Line weight-20-50

Lure Weight- 1-6oz 

 

Ugly Stik Striper:

Length- 7ft 

Line Weight- 10-25lbs 

Lure Weight- 3/8-1oz 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugly stik tigers are the toughest value out there. If you can grab an elder model that came with fuji guides grab one ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeK said:

I would look at some the st. Croix premeir casting rods. 

Or a Mojo Musky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ugly sticks will do everything you need them too, no need to over think or over spend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

The ugly sticks will do everything you need them too, no need to over think or over spend 

So do you think that the striper model will be fine even if I go an ounce or two over and troll with it Or should I go with the tiger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, Camoroso2006 said:

So do you think that the striper model will be fine even if I go an ounce or two over and troll with it Or should I go with the tiger. 

You can go more than a couple ounces over with an ugly stik. I use my bigwater 1-5 for sharking and as I said in the other thread I can cast 8-10 ounces with no fear of breakage. Of course it’s more of a lob than a proper cast but it won’t break. So don’t be afraid to go over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2022 at 9:18 PM, Camoroso2006 said:

I am trying to get into trolling for freshwater stripers from my kayak I have 20lbs mono with 12lbs leader. I will be using live bait with 1oz egg sinkers. I have made a post a few days ago but couldn’t  get one answer. The two rods I am looking at are the

 

Ugly Stik Tiger:  

Length- 7ft
Line weight-20-50

Lure Weight- 1-6oz 

 

Ugly Stik Striper:

Length- 7ft 

Line Weight- 10-25lbs 

Lure Weight- 3/8-1oz 

Lure Weight- 3/8-1oz 

that is casting weight,

if you troll you can put on any rod 3 oz sinker drop in water and troll.

you can have rod for every situation if you have inuf money.

if you like to cover castinh and troling with one rod,i would go with spining rod and spining reel st.croix 7' medium or fenwick.

when you relesing 40' back,

my one turn on spinig reel is 2',i turn handle back 20 times and i have 40',or yoy can buy yelow braid and mark avery 10' with black marker 6" black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.