Camoroso2006

FRESHWATER trolling rod

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I am trying to get into trolling for freshwater stripers from my kayak I have 20lbs mono with 12lbs leader. I will be using live bait with 1oz egg sinkers. I have made a post a few days ago but couldn’t  get one answer. The two rods I am looking at are the

Ugly Stik Tiger:  

Length- 7ft
Line weight-20-50

Lure Weight- 1-6oz 

Ugly Stik Striper:

Length- 7ft 

Line Weight- 10-25lbs 

Lure Weight- 3/8-1oz 

Look at the Shimano TDR.  I’ve used them for years trolling for muskies and they’re virtually bullet proof.  Cost about $30!

I don't know how much help I can be.  Most of my trolling has been in salt water.  I have a rod I built on an Ugly Stick blank.  It's close to 7 ft.  It a heavy duty spinning rod paired with a large Okuma spinning reel.  I can throw 3-4 oz lures with it.  It's probably equivalent to the Tiger.  I used it for light salt water trolling and I use it for fresh water trolling when I do troll.

I have three spools with the reel.  One has 15# fluoro, one has 25# fluoro and the third has 40# braid.  The main difference is I'm trolling lures with it rather than live bait.  I like Ugly Sticks.  Particularly the older ones.  Three of the four spinning rods I use when I'm not fly fishing are Ugly Sticks.  My inclination would be to go with the heavier one(Tiger) since it most likely has more backbone than the "Striper" rod in case you run into a large striper.  The other nice thing is they can take a lot of abuse and are almost impossible to break.

7 mins ago, SCFlyGuy said:

The TDR comes in 7’ as a 1-piece rod and also 8’ as a 2-piece. 

Does it have the back bone for trolling and larger fish? 

5 mins ago, Philly said:

I don't know how much help I can be.  Most of my trolling has been in salt water.  I have a rod I built on an Ugly Stick blank.  It's close to 7 ft.  It a heavy duty spinning rod paired with a large Okuma spinning reel.  I can throw 3-4 oz lures with it.  It's probably equivalent to the Tiger.  I used it for light salt water trolling and I use it for fresh water trolling when I do troll.

I have three spools with the reel.  One has 15# fluoro, one has 25# fluoro and the third has 40# braid.  The main difference is I'm trolling lures with it rather than live bait.  I like Ugly Sticks.  Particularly the older ones.  Three of the four spinning rods I use when I'm not fly fishing are Ugly Sticks.  My inclination would be to go with the heavier one(Tiger) since it most likely has more backbone than the "Striper" rod in case you run into a large striper.  The other nice thing is they can take a lot of abuse and are almost impossible to break.

I had made a post and someone said it was too heavy for what I am doing do you agree? 

8 mins ago, Philly said:

I agree with this. The tiger would probably be the better option.

I hate to derail the thread a little, but where did you get an ugly stik blank? Did you strip a rod and rebuild it? 

2 mins ago, SCFlyGuy said:

I’ve caught muskies up to 45” on a TDR … no problem.  It’s got more than enough backbone. 

Well now I will for sure look into it. I don’t know much on like lure weight and stuff for rods but is it enough for the 1oz egg singer and the live fish on the end and maybe a planer board? 

Posted (edited)

TDRs are great with planer boards and actually shown as ‘Downrigger/Planer Board’ rods.  I use the 7’ rods to troll off the back of my boat in the prop wash.  In this application, the top 1-2’ of the rod is actually in the water and I’m trolling 7-8” plugs.  I pair them with Shimano Tekota Linecounter reels.  Never had one fail. 

5F79B8BF-EDF4-4758-A852-512B2AF6AEEC.png

Edited by SCFlyGuy
Misspelling

2 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I hate to derail the thread a little, but where did you get an ugly stik blank? Did you strip a rod and rebuild it? 

The rod's got to be 25 years old.  I picked it up at Dale Clemens Tackle in Allentown. Long out of business.  It was originally a jetty rod, but it works as a light trolling rod and heavy fresh water rod.  I don't where you could buy an Ugly Stick blank these days.  I just rebuilt a light-medium Ugly Stick that I picked up at the Palmyra Fishing Flea market for $15.  Didn't like the foregrip or reel seat or the guide set-up.  The other Ugly Stick I have was built on a light action Ugly stick blank  I picked up at Clemens shop.

2 hours ago, Camoroso2006 said:

I had made a post and someone said it was too heavy for what I am doing do you agree? 

I don't think so, if you have a possibility of hooking into a 10 to 20 pound striper, it's nice to have the back bone.  I've used mine for flounder fishing and live-lining bunker.  It's sensitive enough to pick up bites.  Ideally, go and get hands on them if you can, and see what they feel like.  go with what's comfortable. 

2 hours ago, Camoroso2006 said:

Well now I will for sure look into it. I don’t know much on like lure weight and stuff for rods but is it enough for the 1oz egg singer and the live fish on the end and maybe a planer board? 

i catch with that rod 10 lb fish that is 160 oz.

you can troll with that rod from 3 oz to 12 oz,use 30# braid and 20# or 30# mono leader 4' to 8'.

you can use that with off shore bords with 3 oz sinker.