Wilgabeast

Coyote hunting cape cod ?

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

So how much do you make off the pelts?

I'm assuming you don't trap just to throw them in the dumpster.

Despite being lumped in with the Peta types because I'm against wanton waste, I actually have a soft spot for traditional fur trapping with a side interest in taxidermy. 

To me, a fur trapper that makes use of every pelt is a whole nuther animal from a guy that blows away coyotes with a shotgun and leaves them to rot, because it's fun.

I will not refer to the later as hunters myself but rest assured, when the general public thinks "hunter", they picture that guy grinnin' over a pile of dead coyotes.

Not much, fur prices have tanked again the last 5 or 6 years i have had a high in the 60$ range to just a couple bucks. this last year you were lucky to see in the teens.the eastern coyote fur is no where near as nice as coyotes from out west, the fur here is coarse and not good color.the other problem we have and it seems to be getting worse again is mange. the last few years about 80% that i have caught has been junk.Many you dont even want to touch.
 most of my trapping is water trapping anyway beaver, otter and such. connecticut trapping can be more trouble then its worth some times, private land is at a premium and the state land trapping i spend to much time trying to avoid people.

Bit of a sidebar.

How much huntable public land access is on the cape?

Hows the small game hunting?

22 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

or they are being pushed out of their natural habitat

Technically, their natural habitat is at least 1000 miles west.   

Coyotes have only recently expanded to the East.  Prior to that they were (probably) prevented from establishing breeding populations because of competition with other, since extirpated, large predators like wolves & mountain lions.  

Apologies on another slight thread derail. Like mikez, I find coyotes interesting!

22 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I would show you the stats on the likelihood of me believing a statistic, but that would defeat the purpose.

lol

16 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

Decent amount of pheasant stocked areas

(cough-also nonnative- cough)

Posted (edited)

7 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

How bout squirrel & rabbit?

Shotgun only? 

Public land has got to be packed. 

IDK about squirrel but a good place to hunt rabbits are also in the WMAs that they stock pheasant on.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/list-of-wildlife-management-areas-by-district#southeast-district-

Edited by FoulHooker

On 8/2/2022 at 8:44 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Bit of a sidebar.

How much huntable public land access is on the cape?

Hows the small game hunting?

Quite a bit including areas of the national sea shore.