Wilgabeast

Coyote hunting cape cod ?

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

Coyotes can kill young children too. I'm not sure if there are too many or not but it's weird to see one in the middle of our town late at night

5 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Coyotes can kill young children too. I'm not sure if there are too many or not but it's weird to see one in the middle of our town late at night

Technically I supposed they could.  But you chance of being killed by your neighbors dog is infinitely more probable.  Lets keep the discussion somewhat honest

1 min ago, Jeff270 said:

Technically I supposed they could.  But you chance of being killed by your neighbors dog is infinitely more probable.  Lets keep the discussion somewhat honest

I was being honest. Google "coyote attacks toddler". Here is one such Article but there are many more. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/05/04/toddler-mauled-coyote-dallas/9649201002/

Just now, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I was being honest. Google "coyote attacks toddler". Here is one such Article but there are many more. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/05/04/toddler-mauled-coyote-dallas/9649201002/

Google how many people have been killed by coyotes.

"There have only been two recorded incidences in the United States and Canada of humans being killed by coyotes. One involved a child in Southern California in the 1980s and the other a 19-year old woman in Nova Scotia in 2009. These events, rare as they are, are serious and warrant serious response."

Now Google how many people are injured by whitetail deer each year.

"Every year up to 200 people are killed by deer, mostly in car accidents. Pretty, sweet-natured, and timid, the deer is one of the deadliest animals in America and of all the wild animals listed is most dangerous to humans. Every year 120 to 200 people are killed by deer.Nov 28, 2021"

3 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

Google how many people have been killed by coyotes.

"There have only been two recorded incidences in the United States and Canada of humans being killed by coyotes. One involved a child in Southern California in the 1980s and the other a 19-year old woman in Nova Scotia in 2009. These events, rare as they are, are serious and warrant serious response."

Now Google how many people are injured by whitetail deer each year.

"Every year up to 200 people are killed by deer, mostly in car accidents. Pretty, sweet-natured, and timid, the deer is one of the deadliest animals in America and of all the wild animals listed is most dangerous to humans. Every year 120 to 200 people are killed by deer.Nov 28, 2021"

I think you actually want to search for how often coyotes attack small children. Even if the the kids dont die, its still bad to have them attacked by coyotes

Posted (edited)

43 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I think you actually want to search for how often coyotes attack small children. Even if the the kids dont die, its still bad to have them attacked by coyotes

OK, I'l play.

Googled, "what are the chances of getting hurt by a coyote"

"Because of the child’s size, many attacks have occurred on children. There were 83 attacks between 1978 and 2018."

So two a year in North America on average.

Now for reference lets look at domestic dogs 

More than 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year in the United States, and more than 800,000 receive medical attention for dog bites, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC). At least half of those bitten are children.

Or how about deer.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are about 1 million car accidents with deer each year that kill 200 Americans, cause more than 10,000 personal injuries, and result in $1 billion in vehicle damage.

Make your own conclusions on killing coyotes because "they can kill young children".  Its foolishness

Edited by Jeff270

2 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

OK, I'l play.

Googled, "what are the chances of getting hurt by a coyote"

"Because of the child’s size, many attacks have occurred on children. There were 83 attacks between 1978 and 2018."

So two a year in North America on average.

Now for reference lets look at domestic dogs 

More than 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year in the United States, and more than 800,000 receive medical attention for dog bites, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC). At least half of those bitten are children.

Or how about deer.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are about 1 million car accidents with deer each year that kill 200 Americans, cause more than 10,000 personal injuries, and result in $1 billion in vehicle damage.

Make your own conclusions on killing coyotes because "they can kill young children".  Its foolishness

Let's look at another stat while we're at it. How many people have dogs? It does seem that there are more dogs so the number of dog attacks will be higher. How many coyotes come within proximity of children? I think the important stat is how many of those coyotes attack children. As number of coyotes goes up, that number of children attacked would go up too. As for deer killing people,I think accidents are a bit different than predatory behavior. 

Posted (edited)

8 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Let's look at another stat while we're at it. How many people have dogs? It does seem that there are more dogs so the number of dog attacks will be higher. How many coyotes come within proximity of children? I think the important stat is how many of those coyotes attack children. As number of coyotes goes up, that number of children attacked would go up too. As for deer killing people,I think accidents are a bit different than predatory behavior. 

The point is the chances of you, or anyone else getting hurt by a coyote are negligible.   You are 2.25 million times more likely to get hurt by a dog!   You can spin it however you want, but the data is the data.

You asked "I think the important stat is how many of those coyotes attack children."

In my previous post I told you, the current stats are about 2 per year in North America.

You imply that deer should be ignored because accidents are different.  Hurt is hurt and dead is dead.  The data says that deer pose a much greater risk to your health and well being than coyotes.

Edited by Jeff270

7 hours ago, mikez2 said:

If you want to argue that we "need" to kill more coyote in Ma, I will debate that all day. 

They are non native.  We should be reintroducing the big cats and wolves. 

A brief recap. Coyotes bit a few kids and ate a chihuahua. We most get vengeance and kill them all. WTF. Get a grip guys. 

22 mins ago, 55555s said:

They are non native.  We should be reintroducing the big cats and wolves. 

That's an interesting separate topic. Two different interesting topics actually. 

Both true statements on the face of it, but not so simple as all that.

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

That's an interesting separate topic. Two different interesting topics actually. 

Both true statements on the face of it, but not so simple as all that.

Yep x 4 

Posted (edited)

i'm perfectly fine with hunting, but the notion that the deer population is being impacted by them to the point where it's necessary to kill off coyotes is laughable

it's the deer who die en masse each winter due to starvation when not enough are shot by hunters each fall due to a lack of natural predators

every winter in western mass we'd need to call animal control to deal with deer carcasses because they starved to death

just own up to the fact that you want to shoot a coyote, no reason for all this blatant nonsense trying to justify it like you're helping to balance the ecosystem

imagine if every time we spoke about fishing for stripers here we said we were just doing our part to protect the pogie population

Edited by adam42

11 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

The point is the chances of you, or anyone else getting hurt by a coyote are negligible.   You are 2.25 million times more likely to get hurt by a dog!   You can spin it however you want, but the data is the data.

You asked "I think the important stat is how many of those coyotes attack children."

In my previous post I told you, the current stats are about 2 per year in North America.

You imply that deer should be ignored because accidents are different.  Hurt is hurt and dead is dead.  The data says that deer pose a much greater risk to your health and well being than coyotes.

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I'm saying you can't quantify the danger of coyotes to young children accurately with blanket statistics. How many of the people killed by deer were going too fast? Not paying attention? Sure accidents happen but they are easier to avoid if you go the speed limit. I'm also not trying to say coyotes are more dangerous than deer, in simply saying they are more dangerous than you make them out to be