Wilgabeast

Coyote hunting cape cod ?

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

… lol you quote some study and I can quote 10 others that state coyote numbers  have a direct correlation on deer numbers… 

This is a discussion forum. You're getting discussion. That's how it works.

Now that you made the claim, let's see those 10 studies...

4 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

Oh yea lions don’t eat impala or zebra either … lol you quote some study and I can quote 10 others that state coyote numbers  have a direct correlation on deer numbers… in some high coyote population areas coyotes kill as much as 70% or the fawns each year … BUT either way  I asked a specific question about HUNTING SCUSSET BEACH. Little did I know the trolls of stripers online would come runnings . I’m going to continue to hunt coyotes . And if it bothers you that much just don’t think about it …. Go pick on the guys pointlessly killing the last of the big stripers and leave me alone . Coyotes need to be kept in check just like the deer , turkeys ,rabbits , snakes , every other animal 

you forgot humans, they need to be kept in check too.    Guess you just didn't get the message.  

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

This is a discussion forum. You're getting discussion. That's how it works.

Now that you made the claim, let's see those 10 studies...

right and include the sources.

10 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

Oh yea lions don’t eat impala or zebra either … lol you quote some study and I can quote 10 others that state coyote numbers  have a direct correlation on deer numbers… in some high coyote population areas coyotes kill as much as 70% or the fawns each year … BUT either way  I asked a specific question about HUNTING SCUSSET BEACH. Little did I know the trolls of stripers online would come runnings . I’m going to continue to hunt coyotes . And if it bothers you that much just don’t think about it …. Go pick on the guys pointlessly killing the last of the big stripers and leave me alone . Coyotes need to be kept in check just like the deer , turkeys ,rabbits , snakes , every other animal 

I want to see your video of the coyote eating the lady's chihuahua in her driveway.  You said you had it, feel free to post it. If it's too graphic I'll edit it.:)

8 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

An article by a food blogger that references exclusively Alabama Outdoor News as the source for all its material?

But I have it from high authority we don't question sources here. It's off topic lol.

You could probably get a some more material from Outdoor Life.

All that aside, if you're an experienced coyote hunter already, why are you coming to a fishing forum to find out about coyote hunting?

There are better sources of information for that.

Because it seems 95% of the guys here are from or around the cape . Figured it was a good place to ask

Just now, Wilgabeast said:

Because it seems 95% of the guys here are from or around the cape . Figured it was a good place to ask

That's fair.

I Google it real quick and it looks like hunting is allowed but you have to dig for the regs.

For the record, if you're hunting legally and ethical and use the pelts, I got zero problem with that. Knock your self out.

If you want to argue that we "need" to kill more coyote in Ma, I will debate that all day. 

54 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Then how did you determine the studies were junk?

One thing I see over and over and over is the claim by hunters that only they understand wildlife and the guys with degrees are all idiots. They like to claim that if hunters were in charge they could bring all wildlife population in "balance".

One thing history has shown, hunters have a lousy track record keeping anything in balance. That's why game laws were invented.

I don’t know what “scientific studies” were referenced :)

I’m by no mean saying we need to kill more coyotes . I’m saying I like to hunt coyotes it’s challenging and fun . And taking out a coyote or two certainly doesn’t hurt the deer population and fawns odds of surviving . So i hunt coyotes for fun and predator control. Not saying we need predator control but it doesn’t hurt either 

3 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

I’m by no mean saying we need to kill more coyotes . I’m saying I like to hunt coyotes it’s challenging and fun . And taking out a coyote or two certainly doesn’t hurt the deer population and fawns odds of surviving . So i hunt coyotes for fun and predator control. Not saying we need predator control but it doesn’t hurt either 

I hear that.

I hunted coyote with a camera and predator call. It was wicked fun. I saw a bunch. Didn't get any share worthy pics though. 

9 mins ago, ged said:

I don’t know what “scientific studies” were referenced :)

You never got that far. You dismissed them out of hand as junk before you heard what they were. 

For my part, I assumed the studies you dismissed as junk were the ones that suggest that killing coyotes in the long run doesn’t reduce their population. In fact, with a stable local population there are less coyotes per acre than when you kill the local pack. Apparently young from the limitless population near by floods in without competition. 

These are fairly recent studies. I can't vouch for who did them, going by memory, but everybody who is interested in this topic has at least heard of them.

You won't hear about them from Outdoor Life or Alabama Outdoors magazine though.

Now I know I'm venturing pretty far from the OPs question but this is an interesting topic. 

One reason this is a currently trendy topic across the country is because of the banning or attempt to ban coyote killing contests. Hunters have come out of the woodwork to counter the those bans wlith outlandish claims about how coyotes will take over the world and deer and small animals will disappear. 

All I can say for sure is that where I live, nobody has hunted coyotes locally for years. They haven't trapped coyotes since '96.

Coyotes are everywhere. In the woods, in the towns and in the cities. They are at historic high numbers. 

Yet deer here are a nuisance, far above the carrying capacity of the land, surviving on human plantings. Deer ticks are a plague. 

Rabbits this year are swarming. Geese another nuisance. 

Nobody is controlling those coyotes but the doom has not descended. 

8 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

I love hunting goose and deer too! Tell me where and I’ll come try and help lol

Assuming you could get access wherever you wanted, you could limit out on both every season in northern Middlesex County. Easy. Turkey too. Bazillion of them.

But you can't get access. 

Bow hunters have better success with access. One town near me is loaded with deer. Their town land is hunting "by permission". They don't tell anyone they only give permission to bow hunters. And not even all of those. You gotta play your cards right. 

Anti-hunting is strong here but anti-gun much stronger. 

Most people will admit there are too many deer (despite all the coyotes). Some will even hold their noses and allow some hunting. But given a choice between gun and bow, it's no contest.