Wilgabeast

Coyote hunting cape cod ?

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

I’ve been down the canal for a week and I’ve seen 5 coyotes in scusset park area all at night while traveling around to fish . Anyone ever coyote hunt this area? Or deer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jighead75 said:

 

Please don't kill the red fox. kill the coyotes all you want.

 

That Fox is a menace. It has no fear of people and will create a problem. A fed animal is a dead animal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wilgabeast said:

I’ve been down the canal for a week and I’ve seen 5 coyotes in scusset park area all at night while traveling around to fish . Anyone ever coyote hunt this area? Or deer 

Legal to hunt on the “other side” of the road. I have never hunted it. I have no use for a dead coyote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fox has kept me and my wife company for many seasons. On the canal just an old friend. IF it's legal kill it no stake in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why? 1. Predator control is necessity especially on cape cod . 
2. it’s a lot of fun when deer season isn’t open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

Why? 1. Predator control is necessity especially on cape cod . 
2. it’s a lot of fun when deer season isn’t open

Predator control on the Cape?  Curious as to what the coyotes are impacting  so badly they need thinning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

Why? 1. Predator control is necessity especially on cape cod . 
2. it’s a lot of fun when deer season isn’t open

Don’t we want predators around to keep the rodent populations in check?

What do you do with the dead coyotes other than having fun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Why kill the coyotes or the fox?

Exactly.  Some guys I've talked to who hunt coyotes want you to think they're doing us all a favor, and saving humanity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Predator control on the Cape?  Curious as to what the coyotes are impacting  so badly they need thinning.

 

Feral cat, rat, and stray dog populations.

 

Kill the yotes if they become a specific issue or if you want to hunt them, otherwise, let them eat the real ecological menace-  cats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, bob_G said:

Exactly.  Some guys I've talked to who hunt coyotes want you to think they're doing us all a favor, and saving humanity.

 

 

Suburban yotes eat cats fox squiirrels chipmunks rats etc etc.  Despite protesting to the contrary, deeper woods yotes eat deer.  Even grown deer in the winter.  

 

Entirely different location, but where i hunt the coyotes are hammering the fawn and the deer population is in decline.  Guys who hunt deer woudl see this as competition.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, bob_G said:

Exactly.  Some guys I've talked to who hunt coyotes want you to think they're doing us all a favor, and saving humanity.

Yep!  I have hunted deer my entire life.  I've hunted ME, NH, NY, PA, and MA.   For twenty plus years I would hunt NY, MA, and PA every year.  Both bow and rifle/shotgun.   I've killed my share of deer.  I see yotes occasionally.  Around my house I hear them all the time, yipping and carrying on.  We have plenty of deer around, more every year.  Coyotes are part of the equation.  Do they kill deer occasionally? Yes, and thats OK.  Some guys go out hunting a couple of times during the season, see nothing, and blame it all on "them damn coyotes have wiped out the herd".  Its BS, try doing a bit of scouting, and putting in your homework.  You might be surprised!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Yep!  I have hunted deer my entire life.  I've hunted ME, NH, NY, PA, and MA.   For twenty plus years I would hunt NY, MA, and PA every year.  Both bow and rifle/shotgun.   I've killed my share of deer.  I see yotes occasionally.  Around my house I hear them all the time, yipping and carrying on.  We have plenty of deer around, more every year.  Coyotes are part of the equation.  Do they kill deer occasionally? Yes, and thats OK.  Some guys go out hunting a couple of times during the season, see nothing, and blame it all on "them damn coyotes have wiped out the herd".  Its BS, try doing a bit of scouting, and putting in your homework.  You might be surprised!

You are painting with a very broad brush.  

 

I found a dozen winter kill deer in the past 2 seasons alone on a 400 acre property.  Thats 1 guy on 400 acres hunting, hiking, or scouting maybe 50 days.  Coyotes in certain areas are absolutely having an impact on deer herds. 

 

I am most definitely not trying to make a claim that "these dern critters need to be wiped out".  However their impact on the herd in heavily wooded and farm areas is unquestionable.  

 

I shoot them when they are near the farm, per request of the land owner.  I smile when i see them in the residential areas as they help millions of small birds have a fighting chance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, 55555s said:

You are painting with a very broad brush.  

 

I found a dozen winter kill deer in the past 2 seasons alone on a 400 acre property.  Thats 1 guy on 400 acres hunting, hiking, or scouting maybe 50 days.  Coyotes in certain areas are absolutely having an impact on deer herds. 

 

I am most definitely not trying to make a claim that "these dern critters need to be wiped out".  However their impact on the herd in heavily wooded and farm areas is unquestionable.  

 

I shoot them when they are near the farm, per request of the land owner.  I smile when i see them in the residential areas as they help millions of small birds have a fighting chance.  

Im not saying they don't kill deer, they do!  Situations like you have described generally occur where deer are yarded up in areas with heavy snow. Places like central and northern Maine.  That is not typically the conditions that occur on the Cape.  I have also shot coyotes when asked to by the farmers that were nice enough to let us hunt their property.  I killed a big blond one years ago that came into a turkey call in the spring.  The farmer was so happy he invited us back for deer season.  This was in Sullivan county NY where permission to deer hunt on private land was equivalent to getting a note from the Pope, it didn't normally happen.

 

My point is there is no reason to shoot a yote (or any animal) just because.  If they are creating a real problem, go for it.  If not, let nature run the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.