jobxe327

Inshore Rod

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Looking for a new 7’ medium. Will pair with a 3000 Shimano Ultegra or Stradic 3000.  Have narrowed it down to 

G Loomis E6X inshore 
TFO Tactical Inshore 
G Loomis GCX inshore

Anyone have any input on any of these rods or other rods in the same price range?

I’ve recently picked up a couple of toadfish inshore rods and have been pretty impressed with them. Under 150 shipped tyd fast. They make a 7’2” medium that’s a damn good rod for the price.

I have a 7'6" Medium E6X and I think it's a great rod.  Matched with a Stradic 3K.  Caught a bunch of stripers on it up to about 30" this summer.  Will also try it out on hardtails this fall.  Never fished a GCX but would like to.  The E6X is really light, 4.37oz

St Croix Avid is right there in price, my 7' MH is 5.3oz

For a (big) step down in price I love my Okuma SRT Inshore Elite, FazLite guides, Fuji TVS reel seat, Toray carbon blank. 7' 6" Medium, 5.04oz

Posted (edited)

I highly recommend Star Plasma II Series inshore rods.  In the same price range as the rods you are considering.  Amazing blanks and the cork they use for the grips is extremely high quality.  They retail at $224.95 for the size you are looking for.  I've got two 7'6" versions.

Edited by animalbarrie

The rod I bought isn't on your list but its a 7'6" medium Duckett that I will try paired to a Slammer IV 2500. Never owned a Duckett rod & never heard of them, but they had a good sale on their Salt Water series and figured why not. Fuji alconite guides at a price that won't break the bank. I might soon know why not, but until I get my hands on it I'll remain hopeful that it is a decent build and fits in to the arsenal somehow. I went 7'6" instead of 7" just to give me a bit more distance on the cast. I plan to walk along the inshore beach tossing bucks, jigs and other small stuff.

I will second the a Star Inshore rod.  I have their top line VPR 7'6" SW Inshore MH-F ⅜-1½ one piece and it's fantastic.  The Plasma II is a small step up in power rating for the same spec.  The warranty is great as its lifetime in a dealers store replacement or direct.  I think I got mine from tackledirect as they had at the time free shipping even on rods up to 8'

I have a couple 7 footers that may not be on the radar but I really enjoy.

Lamiglas Black B7320S, and Shimano Teramar TMS-X70MH.

The Lamiglas gets a BG3000, and the Teramar gets a Stradic FL.

I am also a big fan of the star rods-the star stellar lite has been a favorite of mine for years.  The VPR is also an amazing rod.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:08 PM, Sailah said:

I have a 7'6" Medium E6X and I think it's a great rod.  Matched with a Stradic 3K.  Caught a bunch of stripers on it up to about 30" this summer.  Will also try it out on hardtails this fall.  Never fished a GCX but would like to.  The E6X is really light, 4.37oz

St Croix Avid is right there in price, my 7' MH is 5.3oz

For a (big) step down in price I love my Okuma SRT Inshore Elite, FazLite guides, Fuji TVS reel seat, Toray carbon blank. 7' 6" Medium, 5.04oz

I have the E6X Inshore (7'6" 6-12lb and 8' 10-20lb test) as well as the Avid Inshore (8' 8-17 lb test) and really like all of these...The 2 8 footers were purchased with the intent of throwing unweighted soft plastics, although I use it for other light stuff as well. Works as well as I had hoped

Edge Rods FSS ISR 705-1 or 706-1.  $245 + shipping.  Incredible rods.  I like them more than any rods I've ever fished.  

I did some searching around and found a Loomis Pro Green 822s 6’10” medium I ended up going with. Matched it with a 3000 Ultegra FC. Rod seems perfect for small jig heads and weedless shrimp/paddle tails which is what I was looking for. 

10 mins ago, bmac said:

Edge Rods FSS ISR 705-1 or 706-1.  $245 + shipping.  Incredible rods.  I like them more than any rods I've ever fished.  

I ordered an ISR 765-1 a week ago. Excited to see how it feels.

9 hours ago, albacized said:

I have the E6X Inshore (7'6" 6-12lb and 8' 10-20lb test) as well as the Avid Inshore (8' 8-17 lb test) and really like all of these...The 2 8 footers were purchased with the intent of throwing unweighted soft plastics, although I use it for other light stuff as well. Works as well as I had hoped

My E6X 8' is sorta heavy (and all in the tip), which is a surprise as the 7'6" is so light it's scary.  4.37oz vs 5.08oz

Landed a 46" striper on my Okuma MH SRT Inshore elite 2 nights ago, and a few 40+ fish last night.

Got a St Croix Legend Tournament 7'6" M from Saltwater Edge a couple days ago on sale.  5.40oz was hoping it was going to be 4.4oz as stated in a few other places.  Still very nice rod, paired it with a 4K Sustain and that balanced well.  The 7'6" M Avid is 4.4oz and that is a great weight for my uses.

I've got an E6X 7-footer rated for 3/8-2 oz, 12-25 pound line

It's my go-to rod for mahi, and I use it for bass and bluefish with 3/4- 1 1/2 oz stuff.  Paired it with a Shimano Sustain 5000 and 12-pound Ande Tournament mono.

I'm happy with the rod, although it's a little soft when you need to pump up a larger fish from deeper water.  The 2-oz and 25-pound top-end ratings are purely aspirational.  The blank doesn't have the backbone to take advantage of line much heavier than 12; use line that allows more drag and it just gets noodly and bends, rather than lifting the fish when you pump.  Foul-hooked a low-teens mahi dead center in  the side last year; it was like trying to pull a board sideways through the water.  The rod lacked the guts to make much progress, and that fish made a lot of circles around the boat before coming into gaff range (which ultimately might have been good, as it also prevented me from pulling out a somewhat tenuously-hooked fish).

Inshore, in shallow water, I'd recommend the rod.  Pumping a mid-teens Iefish off the bottom in 60+ feet, probably not.  And don't expect it to feel right throwing more than 1 1/2, and even that is pushing things just a little.

19 mins ago, Sailah said:

I ordered an ISR 765-1 a week ago. Excited to see how it feels.

Sailah:  Those are all excellent rods.  One of the great things about the fishing tackle on the market today is there are so many good choices.  Even some of the "bargain" rods in the $100 + range are very good. You will love that ISR 765.  I've got that one and the 766 that I use for about 99% of my light inshore work.