Drone & Potato gun surf casting

Rate this topic

adam42

Drone. Takes as far as battery goes.

Fits into a box. Everything fits onto a surf cart.

No frozen bait blocks. No compressor. No high pressure explosions to mess with.

Edited by EricL

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

Drone seems far easier than gun. I have a DJI model that is stupid simple to use and didn't break the bank. The only limitation is that the no-fly zones are quite extensive depending on where you fish / live. Added benefit that you could take some great fishing shots and scope out where the action is.

Just now, EricL said:

No frozen bait blocks. No compressor. No high pressure explosions

This. Only problem is some beaches don’t allow drones, like AI. Bait cannons are a cool idea but I’m not gonna use one. Biggest problem for me is that you can’t use conventional reels with a cannon. The only reason I’d use one is for sharks, but the more I fished for them the more I realized 50-80 yards is all you need to catch sharks, so it’s just impractical and potentially dangerous if built wrong. Drones are expensive too, fishing drones normally start around $1000. I’d rather just use a kayak.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

1 min ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

This. Only problem is some beaches don’t allow drones, like AI. Bait cannons are a cool idea but I’m not gonna use one. Biggest problem for me is that you can’t use conventional reels with a cannon. The only reason I’d use one is for sharks, but the more I fished for them the more I realized 50-80 yards is all you need to catch sharks, so it’s just impractical and potentially dangerous if built wrong. Drones are expensive too, fishing drones normally start around $1000. I’d rather just use a kayak.

Youre not limited to just beach use. You can use drone on a boat. Literally drop a live bait on a fishs head. Almost guaranteed hookup.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

29 mins ago, adam42 said:

Been seriously thinking about buying a drone or building a potato gun for getting some good distance on my casts. Has anyone here done either before?

I've used a drone to deep drop baits.  It was years ago and I used a DJI Phantom 3.  The issue I had was that the further out I would drop the baits, I would need more weight to get my bait to stay put.  I only felt comfortable carrying 6oz plus bait and at times that was not enough weight to get my bait to stay put.  Honestly it was kind of annoying using the drone and I sold it all.  I've got a DJI Mavic 2 Pro now and I strictly use that for photography.  

I prefer casting with my conventional surf set ups more anyway - I can hit around 100 yards from the surf, that is good enough for me.  

46 mins ago, EricL said:

Fits into a box. Everything fits onto a surf cart.

No frozen bait blocks. No compressor. No high pressure explosions to mess with.

What fun is that?:bucktooth:

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

What fun is that?:bucktooth:

The tank most likely wont pop. But the firing tube can.

All fun and games until youre trying to shrapnel out of bodily areas. Out of you or worse, others.

And im sure youd get into more trouble with law or park police because they can class a spud gun as a weapon or high pressure device on park lands.

A drone in a no fly zone, they tell you cant fly it, pack it up. Cool, no problem.

1 min ago, recoil said:

At this point is it even considered fishing anymore?

Boat fish dont count and now,

Drone fish don't count!

unless the drone can throw a net and bring you back the fish with auto gps return.

i dont see why sight fishing with remote cameras doesnt count.

boats shouldnt use a fishfinder either then. lol

classic sol,,, boat fish dont count.

5 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I always thought potato guys were illegal? 

No they are classified as an air gun by the ATF if used with compressed air.  Used with ignited spray can fuel as long as its muzzle loaded and the projectile has no destructive intent (rec use like fishing) it is unclassified.   But do not forget State laws can be further restrictive. 

While it's legal many places to shoot your air gun in your suburban back yard.  Doing so on a public beach......not so much.   It's sort of a common sense thing IMO, with the idiot awards being doled out.   Do it on a vacant beach and or at night likely no issue.  Do it on a national park beach  like Assateague or Playalinda with beach goers and you will likely be leaving with an extra healthy bill in hand and possibly sans some pvc pipe and fittings.

Drones while $$ have many good uses but be sure to run a safety line in case it goes fubar.  You can pull your drone back in and possibly save it.  The main reason drones were prohibited on some  beaches had little to do with fishing and everything to do with ignorant fools usually under the age of 30 showing off their lack of common sense and bucket fulls of selfishness.   Public safety and disturbance. 

Makes you appreciate the skill and knowledge fishing took when I was a teen.  No sonar fish finders, drones, other crutches etc.  Most every angler was proficient with a conventional reel as well.