adam42

Underwater Drones

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Been thinking about buying an underwater drone for a while. I think it'd better help me understand what's actually going on down below but also could be a ton of fun. Anyone here bought any and want to post some reviews of their experience?

I don't know if I've ever seen a submersible similar to a drone before. Alternatively, you could just tie a GoPro on the end of your line and cast it out there and slowly reel it in? They're under 6oz so theoretically you could get it out there without destroying your rod.

People have also used the water wolf which can be tied to your line. There is a new version called the water wolf 2. Not sure if it is for sale yet in the states. 

I don't know how often you fish a spot but if you fish it enough you'll know the structure 

No idea what kinda underwater drone you speak of. Having said that, there’s a bunch of sonars run on batteries you can cast out, and connect to an iPhone or android phone. They’ve seriously come down in price some under $100. Or you could mount a gopro to a collapsable pole, like a painter poll. Or I suppose if you really wanna get DIY you could go RC route, and mount a camera under an RC boat? 

I'm going with on the 3rd cast tops, the Gopro snags the bottom and that's that.

Had one on the boat a couple of years ago--a big yellow thing with a large cable reel.  We were hoping to put it out in the chumslick when the sharks showed up and get underwater footage.  But it was late in the season, nothing showed up, and thus my experience with underwater drones remains nil.

get some $40 fins/goggles and jump in!

obviously need to be a strong swimer, lifeguard oldtime surfer.