AaronWilde

80lb braid to 80lb mono knot to knot

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey. I want to run 300 yards of 80lb yo-zuri braid mainline to 26~ feet of 80lb mono for a shock leader to spin cast up 16 oz weights for distance.

I have been reading a ton around forums about various different knot to knot connections with thick line and still being able to cast the knot and also rely on it for strength. It seems that depending on the different diameters and types of lines being joined that different knots are to be used, and frankly it gets a bit complicated. I was hoping people maybe have experience with knots in these diameters of line?

I am pretty good at tying knots and don't mind learning a tough one. Knot ideas?

I want to run 80lb to 80lb because I don't want to break off on my mainline when I snag bottom. It happens often enough. 

I was hoping that when I snag bottom with my sinker that the 80lb to 80lb knot connection is the weak link that will break?

Ty!

Edited by AaronWilde

What rod and reel are you using that casts a 16 ounce weight ???  And what knot are you using to attach the braid to the mono ??? Thanks, Sy..  Because basically fish 30 pound test braid attached to 15 foot 50 pound test mono leader tossing 6 ounce weight to obtain maximum  casting distance...

Posted (edited)

19 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

What rod and reel are you using that casts a 16 ounce weight ???  And what knot are you using to attach the braid to the mono ??? Thanks, Sy..  Because basically fish 30 pound test braid attached to 15 foot 50 pound test mono leader tossing 6 ounce weight to obtain maximum  casting distance...

I will be using a 12 foot Ugly stik spinning rod rated up to 12 oz (I've thrown up to 24oz with it and it won't break the rod, but the rod loses more and more loading ability the more weight I cast over it's rating), and a long cast Penn spinfisher vi 7500lc spinning reel. Fishing for giant Sturgeon (can reach 1000lb+, but most from shore under 400lb).

I haven't used knot to knot for heavy setups yet.. I use uni to uni or FG for very light fishing. I have no idea what knot to use for such thick line to line, and that is why I am asking. 

Edited by AaronWilde

I second the Alberto. Make sure you push your wraps up though before cinching down. If it’s not pushed up enough the loop in the mono will be exposed and your knot will unravel, happened to me before on a cast and lost all my tackle. I use the Alberto on 80 braid to 80 mono on my shark reel, and I will say do not try to cinch by hand, it will not end well… get a thick wooden dowel and some Winn grip tape, cut the dowel into 2 6-8 inch sections and wrap with Winn tape.  Now you have knot tighteners. Wouldn’t be able to tie that knot without them. So much force is required to make that knot on that heavy of line that your line will break before the knot does. I tested it once with a scale and the scale was around 50-60 pounds before it got fully tight. And that was only a 9 turn instead of a 10. I couldn’t get the 10 turn to cinch right. Regardless, it’s not slipping.

Posted (edited)

look into the GT knot - that is what I use for my shock to main line, I would think it would work in this situation.

Edited by animalbarrie

For going through guides, I have switched up to the FG knot this year. It is the thinnest diameter knot that you will find (as there is only a single strand for the thicker mono line with only the thinner braid going around that mono unlike just about any other knot out there that calls for the mono to double up on itself in some form or another such as the uni-to-uni or the GT knot).

There is a really good video on youtube that shows an excellent method to tie the FG knot:

PR FG SC knot will be your friends.

if it works for topwater tuna/gt

itll work for you.

anything else leaves you with a huge knot from the mono leader.

on the fly, any knot other than the 3 above will work. as i doubt youll get over 25lb drag before something pops.

I would suggest a Alberto knot. But I can almost tie it with out looking. If I may suggest a tweek, shorten your 80lb leader to about 5 feet. That should be more than sufficient. The 80 lb braid will more than handle the stress of your cast. I went this route after using lighter braid (40) to 50lb mono full length shocker (25 feet). On the cast with a spinning outfit the mono goes through the guides much slower than the braid it it creates snarles in the braid that will loop around your reduction guides. Keeping the mono on the outside of the guides works much better IMHO. On the other side if you do manage to break that off on a snag at the lead not there won’t be 25 feet of 80lb mono floating out there snagging everything up. 

1 min ago, GoneCoastal said:

I would suggest a Alberto knot. But I can almost tie it with out looking. If I may suggest a tweek, shorten your 80lb leader to about 5 feet. That should be more than sufficient. The 80 lb braid will more than handle the stress of your cast. I went this route after using lighter braid (40) to 50lb mono full length shocker (25 feet). On the cast with a spinning outfit the mono goes through the guides much slower than the braid it it creates snarles in the braid that will loop around your reduction guides. Keeping the mono on the outside of the guides works much better IMHO. On the other side if you do manage to break that off on a snag at the lead not there won’t be 25 feet of 80lb mono floating out there snagging everything up. 

Lots of good ideas so far! I want the 80lb mono leader not only for distance but for abrasion resistance. 5 feet is good but realistically probably 30 feet of line is touching the bottom in the Fraser river from shore and although most of it is mud there is mud shelfts and random trees/rocks down there too, which is why I wanted to try 80lb mono knot to knot. Most guys around here from shore run straight braid 80lb + but i notice that doing so the braid takes a beating and every day fishing you cut off 5 feet of it because its all fuzzy and frayed...

Well 80lb mono coming off of a spinning reel especially 25 feet of is going to severely limit your distance. If you want to keep that set up for abrasion I would by a 40 size conventional reel like a Diawa SLH40. It would be much better for distance. Speaking of which ditch that Ugly Stick and pick up a middle of the road graphite factory heaver. You’ll thank me later and cast twice as far.