JBreese1

need help with a math problem

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

1 min ago, JBreese1 said:

My 2 favorite are when the display brightness changes down to 0% so you have to figure out how to get it unlocked, get to settings then to display so you can turn up the brightness. All from a totally black screen. The other is when it switches to do not disturb or airplane mode. all from a locked phone.

Jim

mine did all kinds of weird ****, I could only quote post if I used Firefox.

every one said it was my fault :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, JBreese1 said:

Thanks for the incentive to try again. I have always had problems posting from my phone. I will start a new thread with the in process photo's in Chronological order. Now I need to disassemble the entire thing for melding a few corners, sanding,staining and painting.

Jim

OK, now, can you use your teeshirt and try to clean your lens before the next round of blurry phone photos?

Oh, and sweet project. 

4 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

every one said it was my fault :rolleyes:

well, it was. 

26 mins ago, flyangler said:

well, it was. 

I handed my phone to one of the brilliant IT minds at the food fling,  He handed it back and said this phone is stupid lol

28 mins ago, flyangler said:

OK, now, can you use your teeshirt and try to clean your lens before the next round of blurry phone photos?

Oh, and sweet project. 

if it's a Motorola that's probably as good as it gets lol

49 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

if you adjust an oxy/acc torch to a neutral flame, snuff it out and use that mixture in the potato gun you get a lot more velocity! 

Man, have we had some fun doing just that, weld a piece of plate with a hole in it on the bottom of a pipe, shove a tennis ball down there, and light the torch. 

The resulting bang would set off car alarms all around, and the tennis ball would be a little dot before it disappeared.

Jim,

The cannon looks great, where did you get the wheels? Cool project.

Posted (edited)

43 mins ago, Ed White said:

Jim,

The cannon looks great, where did you get the wheels? Cool project.

Ed, I was looking to do this on the cheap. The wheels are just decorative pieces I ordered from Amazon. The are made and sold as wall art. I needed to make hubs to make them look like real wagon, cannon wheels. I found little decorative wooden barrels at Hobby Lobby and cut them in half and glued plywood circles to them to make realistic looking wheel hubs for the wheels. Real Steam bent wooden wagon wheels with hubs are hundreds of dollars apiece.

Jim

IMG_20220728_191653208_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220728_194628133.jpg

Edited by JBreese1

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

if you adjust an oxy/acc torch to a neutral flame, snuff it out and use that mixture in the potato gun you get a lot more velocity! 

I was at a 4th of July party one year. A guy filled an empty anti freeze jug with that mixture, and doused the jug in charcoal lighter fluid, and lit it off.

That sum ba ginny went off with the loudest report of all the fireworks that day. Echoed up and down the creek for a while. Only part of the jug found was the lid. It blew straight up, and came down near where the jug was.

12 mins ago, JBreese1 said:

Ed, I was looking to do this on the cheap. The wheels are just decorative pieces I ordered from Amazon. The are made and sold as wall art. I needed to make hubs to make them look like real wagon, cannon wheels. I found little decorative wooden barrels at Hobby Lobby and cut them in half and glued plywood circles to them to make realistic looking wheel hubs for the wheels. Real Steam bent wooden wagon wheels with hubs are hundreds of dollars apiece.

Jim

IMG_20220728_191653208_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220728_194628133.jpg

Watch a video series called Engel's Coach Shop. It is a guy that restores old wooden wagons. A big part of that is wagon wheels. The felloes are the curved sections, on the outside forming the rims, and are each cut from a board. The hub is turned from a log, and bored and mortise.

Without the hub metal bands, I question the sturdiness of the hub.

Be careful moving it around with the weight.

Nice project, looking forward to the updates. 

Question, did you make the barrel, if so, how?

10 mins ago, dena said:

Without the hub metal bands, I question the sturdiness of the hub.

Be careful moving it around with the weight.

10 mins ago, Wayne Tj said:

Nice project, looking forward to the updates. 

Question, did you make the barrel, if so, how?

Dena, The hubs I made are pretty solid and I epoxied my wooden disks to them. Then they were screwed and epoxied to the wheels. There is not a lot of weight on them. This is decorative only.

Wayne, The barrel is 4" PVC pipe with a cap and trailer ball at one end and a reducer / expander at the barrel end. I then made two wooden disks and sleeved it with 2" PVC pipe. I plan on smoothing the joints on the barrel with silicone before painting so it looks like a one piece cast barrel.

I just uploaded all my in process pic's to my PC and will start a new thread showing the progress in chronological order.

Jim

On 7/29/2022 at 10:04 AM, Michael P said:

Like Ken said, multiply measured size on the drawing by 7.5

Am I mistaken or did YOU disappear for many years? 

if not, I apologize but I feel like I haven’t seen your name in a long time. 

welcome back (maybe?) 

lol 

ErikT

9 hours ago, JBreese1 said:

Dena, The hubs I made are pretty solid and I epoxied my wooden disks to them. Then they were screwed and epoxied to the wheels. There is not a lot of weight on them. This is decorative only.

Wayne, The barrel is 4" PVC pipe with a cap and trailer ball at one end and a reducer / expander at the barrel end. I then made two wooden disks and sleeved it with 2" PVC pipe. I plan on smoothing the joints on the barrel with silicone before painting so it looks like a one piece cast barrel.

I just uploaded all my in process pic's to my PC and will start a new thread showing the progress in chronological order.

Jim

Don’t use silicone if you plan to paint later, paint does not stick to silicone. 

You might want to try epoxy resin with a thickening agent. 

1 min ago, Wayne Tj said:

Don’t use silicone if you plan to paint later, paint does not stick to silicone. 

You might want to try epoxy resin with a thickening agent. 

Thanks Wayne, I work for a defense contractor and we have some pretty exotic materials. We use a paintable silicone based sealant on many of our outdoor units. It is made by Dow Corning I believe. It's pricey, but mil spec and extremely durable in all harsh conditions from extreme heat to extreme cold.

Jim