ReelKnotty

Stonington/Deer Isle bass

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

With the warmer weather and water this year I am hoping to have a shot at Stripedbass up in Deer Isle. Has anyone been having any luck that far north? 

Posted (edited)

The silence is deafening, no?  Bottom line, in my experience bass are rare, if even there, that far downeast. 

I'm betting that if they are there, the locals are silent about it.  Walk around a marina and check out the fishing rods.  One nice thing about Maine is most folks leave their rods on the boat all rigged and ready to go.  It's a great source of intel...

Edited by Roccus7

I can speak to Stonington.  My uncle guides out of Bucksport.  He steams to Castine/Stonington to troll the bay for macks and heads back up the Penobscot or Bagaduce river to live-line.  We did it last week and managed a few fish.

It has been a year of onsies twosies... not many fish under 22-24" in the river this year.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Roccus7 said:

The silence is deafening, no?  Bottom line, in my experience bass are rare, if even there, that far downeast. 

I'm betting that if they are there, the locals are silent about it.  Walk around a marina and check out the fishing rods.  One nice thing about Maine is most folks leave their rods on the boat all rigged and ready to go.  It's a great source of intel...

Try that in Mass. :point:

Posted (edited)

7 mins ago, bdowning said:

Try that in Mass. :point:

Crap, 50 years ago on LI, NY, that wouldn't fly either.  We're frigging spoiled, and most folks around here even leave the keys in the boat.  Since I grew up on LI, I just can't leave my keys aboard.

AAMOF, folks then were taking EVERYTHING off the boat at night, nothing of value stored even in locked cabins...

Edited by Roccus7