Misled

Apple Pay

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Ok, yeah I know.  Get with the times, stop being an old fart, trust the system etc etc etc.  So I've always been super suspicious and hesitant about using certain tech.  Apple Pay was one that scared me right off the bat regardless of Apple's reassurances. 

Well now I'm revisiting since I embarrassed myself trying to buy stuff without a wallet.  Yep forgot it in my jeans when I switched to cargoes and my wife had to pull out her wallet to pay while the cashier looked at me like I was a deadbeat, leach, bum, bastard having a woman pay for me. (ok maybe just me being self conscious)   I've been reading a bit and understand the tech but just can't shake the doubtful gut feeling.  Anyways, how many of you guys use it and do you like it?  Do you feel safe or have you had questionable issues?  Tips suggestions?

thx 

Not a member of the Dead Steve Jobs ecosystem. But I assume it's similar to Google Pay? Linked to a credit card?

Why be nervous? Your card will handle any fraudulent charges. That's why they charge 20% interest on balances.

Just don't link a debit card. You'll still probably get fraud reimbursed but having an empty bank account can cause issues.

6 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Not a member of the Dead Steve Jobs ecosystem. But I assume it's similar to Google Pay? Linked to a credit card?

Why be nervous? Your card will handle any fraudulent charges. That's why they charge 20% interest on balances.

Just don't link a debit card. You'll still probably get fraud reimbursed but having an empty bank account can cause issues.

Makes sense.  Good tip on the debit thx

6 mins ago, richie c said:

Cheap deadbeat. Its OK I sometimes make my wife pay for my beer

lol, I swear the cashier was thinking, "what a POS".  I almost made a comment but figured, who's gonna believe you while your wife pays? lololol

We have a tavern venmo expert that you can consult, should you need help setting up an account

15 mins ago, Misled said:

Ok, yeah I know.  Get with the times, stop being an old fart, trust the system etc etc etc.  So I've always been super suspicious and hesitant about using certain tech.  Apple Pay was one that scared me right off the bat regardless of Apple's reassurances. 

Well now I'm revisiting since I embarrassed myself trying to buy stuff without a wallet.  Yep forgot it in my jeans when I switched to cargoes and my wife had to pull out her wallet to pay while the cashier looked at me like I was a deadbeat, leach, bum, bastard having a woman pay for me. (ok maybe just me being self conscious)   I've been reading a bit and understand the tech but just can't shake the doubtful gut feeling.  Anyways, how many of you guys use it and do you like it?  Do you feel safe or have you had questionable issues?  Tips suggestions?

thx 

It works great. No biggie, still need to enter your pin at the kiosk.

3 mins ago, Slack Tidings said:

It works great. No biggie, still need to enter your pin at the kiosk.

ah ok got it.  thx

It’s great in a pinch when you don’t have your wallet. Funny, you never seem to forget your phone…. If your averse to online shopping then you will probably hate it, but it’s fairly secure and you need to unlock the credit card before each use so an extra layer of protection.  

My Otterbox cover makes paying with my phone problematic. Sensors can't seem to get through the case.

My old Samsung phone would simulate the mag stripe so it would work on just about any credit card reader. For some stupid reason they did away with it on the new Galaxys and the reader has to specifically support Samsung/Google/Android Pay

It is as secure, or more so, than using any other form of POS payment and will work anywhere tap to pay is accepted.  I read a lot about cybersecurity and personal finance and people much smarter than myself have come to the conclusion it's extremely safe and perhaps the most secure payment form.  I put my credit card info in there for the exact instance you described and it has since saved my butt on more than one occasion.

35 mins ago, Chunkah said:

My Otterbox cover makes paying with my phone problematic. Sensors can't seem to get through the case.

That's why you need a Steve job watch.  :laugh:

If you aren't carrying the cash to pay just steal it.... sucker punch the clerk if they object.  Technology is yesterdays news.

5 mins ago, cmdrzog said:

If you aren't carrying the cash to pay just steal it.... sucker punch the clerk if they object.  Technology is yesterdays news.

I would but I'm not a thug POS so I would be arrested, charged at the max, no bail and do hard time.  Although...if I identify as a black transvestite lesbian homosexual green commie then it just might work!  You may be on to something here.  Paying is so overrated.