Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seadogg

Grillgrates

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My Weber gas grill was due for new grates, and my plan was to find a solid pair of stainless steel ones to replace my gnarly cast iron ones. I happened across Grillgrates, which are hard anodized aluminum plates that interlock and are reversible, with raised grates on one side and a flat, griddle surface on the other. Customer reviews were overwhelmingly positive so I got a set. Ive used them four times so far and they’re great. I’ve cooked steaks, pork chops, and summer squash. Well defined grill marks without any charring and great heat distribution. Anyone else ever use these or hear of them? 

these two photos I grabbed off the interwebs to show the design. 

91E6CFD7-C406-4662-9FA5-45A8E1BBF7F6.jpeg

A0D3117E-4342-4AB5-9029-9F0F76392524.jpeg

Why aluminum tho? How long do you think these will last before it needs to be replaced?

Craycort has cast iron grill grates … they aren’t going to wear out any time soon … much heavier than most others …

Conductivity, I suppose. According to the manufacturer they’ll practically outlast the grill. They’re anodized aluminum, so rusting and corrosion aren’t much of a concern. 

I would stay with cast iron.  They hold heat and are naturally non-stick once seasoned.  Get the thickest ones you can find.

3 hours ago, bass-o-matic said:

I would stay with cast iron.  They hold heat and are naturally non-stick once seasoned.  Get the thickest ones you can find.

I don’t know man, so far these things are phenomenal. I’ve used them pretty extensively at this point. 

I have had the grill grates on my short list for a while now. I looked around and pretty much settled on these I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

I like the idea that they suppress flare ups and reminded myself of these when I was grilling chicken thighs yesterday. 

did you get the cleaning tool with these grates? 

10 hours ago, Kml said:

I have had the grill grates on my short list for a while now. I looked around and pretty much settled on these I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

I like the idea that they suppress flare ups and reminded myself of these when I was grilling chicken thighs yesterday. 

did you get the cleaning tool with these grates? 

They come with a fork-like spatula that’s used to clean between the grates and remove bits, but they also sell a wire brush. That I didn’t get, but I may order it. These things have been excellent so far. One of the best features is how well distributed the heat is. There are no more hot/cool spots. I also flipped one of the grates to use as a searing surface for burgers. Perfect caramelizing.