BostonSurfMan

Happening now at Newport RI

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

1 min ago, bdowning said:

Surprised he didnt try to dive in and grab it. :D

I thought he was going to beat the crap out of me.  I generally feel safe where I fish with exception of very few instances.  Few times on Block where crossing lines caused some to throw punches and another instance where a supposed gun was drawn.  

7 mins ago, DZ said:

I thought he was going to beat the crap out of me.  I generally feel safe where I fish with exception of very few instances.  Few times on Block where crossing lines caused some to throw punches and another instance where a supposed gun was drawn.  

Imagine getting so angry that your line got crossed you draw your gun on somebody. Wackos. The worst I have to deal with when I fish is angry old farts who tell me I can’t fish on the bank (you can). Threaten to call the cops, sometimes they do, the cops come, they don’t care, the cops leave, continue fishing. They get so pressed that somebody is having a good time and bothering nobody. That’s all freshwater though, at least they aren’t begging for my fish like they do when I striper fish or tog fish in some spots in the salt. Get pissed when I release a 12” bass or 8” tog. Go beg for somebody else’s fish balloon knots. Sometimes I can’t stand people. 

Put some important context into my Block story.  Back then loosing a hookup because of a crossed line very often meant loosing $80 at $2.00 a pound.  Wasn’t for the meek. 

On 7/30/2022 at 3:55 PM, DZ said:

About 30 years ago I was fishing a bridge in Island Park after dark around 1am.  As I release an undersized bass a guy whom I don’t know  watching me from behind tells me he wants the next one I catch.  Next cast I release another one.  He yells at me, “I told you to keep it for me!”  
I left. 

And it's not only in the salt! Once, when largemouth bass fishing (in a boat close to shore), some yahoo shouted out when he saw us releasing fish. It seems he wanted a fish for the table(yuck). A couple casts later, my buddy sticks a good one - legit 6lb+. The aforementioned guy yelled throughout the entire 4 or 5 minute fight - kind of spoiling the experience. After a quick measurement (23") and photo, we made it a point for our 'friend' to see the release. Kind of made our day....:)  

2 hours ago, finbar said:

And it's not only in the salt! Once, when largemouth bass fishing (in a boat close to shore), some yahoo shouted out when he saw us releasing fish. It seems he wanted a fish for the table(yuck). A couple casts later, my buddy sticks a good one - legit 6lb+. The aforementioned guy yelled throughout the entire 4 or 5 minute fight - kind of spoiling the experience. After a quick measurement (23") and photo, we made it a point for our 'friend' to see the release. Kind of made our day....:)  

Surprised he didnt have a coronary. :cool:

29 mins ago, John P said:

Or pull out a gun and fire on you.  It's a scary place out there now. 

Ha - he may have received return fire.:) I personally never felt the need, but my fishing buddy was LTC and was usually armed. Although he was a good guy, rest in peace, he was kind of paranoid about everything....

I really only made the comment as a reaction to the crazies, I don't carry guns on my boat.  If I felt I needed to I would give up the sport.

4 hours ago, John P said:

I really only made the comment as a reaction to the crazies, I don't carry guns on my boat.  If I felt I needed to I would give up the sport.

I get that. Same with me.... 

On 7/29/2022 at 8:37 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Yep.  

Exact same here.   Then stink eye me when I point to the poster of the regulations. 

I'm waiting to be mugged for a short fish.  

Literally had multiple people run up to me and question my sanity  when I released a 40" breeder a few weeks back.

18 mins ago, Andrew46 said:

Literally had multiple people run up to me and question my sanity  when I released a 40" breeder a few weeks back.

I think we give the masses too much credit. I mean, it's a really big ask for them to know the basic regulations, let alone follow them. The fishery is doomed.