adam42

Making jigs and spoons out of pipes

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Simply cutting a piece of pipe and cinching off both ends will make a very reliable spoon or jig. All of these have landed stripers. Do not recommend drilling holes in them, that was a failed experiment. Still works fine but arguably worse than without so no need for the extra labor.

Also, surgical tubing, is a super cheap & fast way to add a teaser or build a sabiki rig. I've even used old McDonald's straws on homemade sabiki rigs.

IMG_1778.jpg

Image from iOS (15).jpg

Image from iOS (16).jpg

Cheap or free ( swiped when eating out) ss steel butter knife handles, blade ends, t & table spoons caught me many a blue fish, striper, weakfish & even fluke.

I knew an older fellow who made his version of sting silvers out of the chrome supply lines for bathroom sinks. He's gone and I lost the few he gifted me but they caught. 

Looks good! I'm gonna have to try some pipes soon.

I made these from knife and fork handles, The wife doesn't know there missing yet!

I got my first spanish mak on one.

Homemade jigs 1.jpg

I've also heard of copper pipes filled with lead for lingcod and halibut in Alaska and the pacific northwest.

pipe jig.JPG

23 hours ago, recoil said:

Looks good! I'm gonna have to try some pipes soon.

I made these from knife and fork handles, The wife doesn't know there missing yet!

I got my first spanish mak on one.

Homemade jigs 1.jpg

Go to single hooks, esp. if c&r fishing. And a little splash of red spray up front doesn't hurt.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2022 at 4:33 PM, adam42 said:

Simply cutting a piece of pipe and cinching off both ends will make a very reliable spoon or jig. All of these have landed stripers. Do not recommend drilling holes in them, that was a failed experiment. Still works fine but arguably worse than without so no need for the extra labor.

Also, surgical tubing, is a super cheap & fast way to add a teaser or build a sabiki rig. I've even used old McDonald's straws on homemade sabiki rigs.

IMG_1778.jpg

Image from iOS (15).jpg

Image from iOS (16).jpg

The copper jig with the holes in it. Place a rolled up piece of rawhide into it before you crimp the end. Use a worm inflater filled with bunker oil and inject it into the holes just before fishing. I made mine for cod fishing and worked well. Thanks for posting these, It brings back memories.

Sorry no pics, but I used to fish with a guy that would take solid Stainless Steel Hydraulic shafts cut them at an angle, and drill holes for split rings, we caught an awful lot of cod on them and they never rusted...

Posted (edited)

those are some real beauts, everyone else is putting my stuff to shame

do you attach the eyes with epoxy? are they fishing specifc or hobby store?

Edited by adam42

Yes specific for fishing lures. I build wood plugs so I have a good amount of sizes. I’m a machinist so I figure why not make stainless ones too. They actually work occasionally too

8109DF45-3D08-4E6E-9F5A-4130E2C805A0.jpeg

On 8/1/2022 at 8:52 PM, Steel Pulse said:

B85FA214-C8BC-49D3-9EEB-545F84E63BB8.jpeg

Out of curiosity, out of what...how...did you make those?  Look great

316 stainless steel. I posted how in the lure building forum. Do a search there under anyone making epoxy jigs. 

On 7/30/2022 at 4:32 PM, ribeye said:

The copper jig with the holes in it. Place a rolled up piece of rawhide into it before you crimp the end. Use a worm inflater filled with bunker oil and inject it into the holes just before fishing. I made mine for cod fishing and worked well. Thanks for posting these, It brings back memories.

I had a 3/4" PVC (emt) topwater "popper" with holes in it.  two channel locks (or forearms like popeye) to unscrew the front cap, insert scent or bait of choice (used gulps bodies, piece of bunker, sponge with oil, etc).  I never got it to pop right (especially when it was weighted more) and it was more needleish but it worked ok.   Its gone.  Adam may have motivated me to do an improved version!

Good thread topic.  I love the knives and spoons.