Camoroso2006

Ugly stick GX2

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, wrboz said:

I still think the Tiger is WAY too heavy for FRESHWATER stripers! No way you need something rated to 4 ounces or more! If you’re trolling you don’t really need a sensitive rod. It’s generally not that kind of fishing. That being said, you still don’t want a saltwater trolling setup for freshwater. If you’re convinced you want an ugly stik, the striper series would probably serve your purpose better.

Also what make is too heavy?

1 hour ago, wrboz said:

I still think the Tiger is WAY too heavy for FRESHWATER stripers! No way you need something rated to 4 ounces or more! If you’re trolling you don’t really need a sensitive rod. It’s generally not that kind of fishing. That being said, you still don’t want a saltwater trolling setup for freshwater. If you’re convinced you want an ugly stik, the striper series would probably serve your purpose better.

Freshwater stripers can get huge... PA state record striper is 53 pounds. They get just as big in freshwater as they do in the salt. A 70 pounder came out of Alabama 9 years ago. A rod with more than 4 oz max rating is warranted in some cases. Over 8 or 10 is overkill unless you’re fishing for muskies, catfish, or sturgeon. But a rod rated to 6 ounces would be just fine for freshwater striper trolling. Here’s the Alabama fish5CF610D5-60D8-4EFB-98DD-BD224966DD81.jpeg.a23bee814ee4a075bf0901b765d151a0.jpeg

But I agree that if the stripers that are in whatever lake he is fishing in don’t get bigger than 15-20 pounds then the striper series would be fine. If they do get bigger than that then the tiger would be better, just in case even. I’m certain the striper series can handle a big one, but the tiger would help get the fish in faster probably.

Posted (edited)

4 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Freshwater stripers can get huge... PA state record striper is 53 pounds. They get just as big in freshwater as they do in the salt. A 70 pounder came out of Alabama 9 years ago. A rod with more than 4 oz max rating is warranted in some cases. Over 8 or 10 is overkill unless you’re fishing for muskies, catfish, or sturgeon. But a rod rated to 6 ounces would be just fine for freshwater striper trolling. Here’s the Alabama fish5CF610D5-60D8-4EFB-98DD-BD224966DD81.jpeg.a23bee814ee4a075bf0901b765d151a0.jpeg

But I agree that if the stripers that are in whatever lake he is fishing in don’t get bigger than 15-20 pounds then the striper series would be fine. If they do get bigger than that then the tiger would be better, just in case even. I’m certain the striper series can handle a big one, but the tiger would help get the fish in faster probably.

Where I fish fish are close to 10lbs and up but average is around 10. The largest fish in our lake is 53lbs in 2000. Will it be able to hand what I do with it. I troll with live bait with a egg sinker. Is that too much lure weight for it ?

Edited by Camoroso2006

5 mins ago, Camoroso2006 said:

Where I fish fish are close to 10lbs and up but average is around 10. The largest fish in our lake is 53lbs in 2000. Will it be able to hand what I do with it. I troll with live bait with a egg sinker. Is that too much lure weight for it ?

You mean the striper series?

2 mins ago, Camoroso2006 said:

Yes the Striper series.

It should be fine. You said in another post you are using a 1 ounce egg sinker and a baitfish, it should work just fine for what you are going to do. I don't think the tiger is needed in this situation. It's an ugly stik and it will handle any fish you hook on to. I have a catfish series ugly stik rated to 3 ounces that landed a 6 foot sandbar shark with no problems at all, other than it being too light for an 80 pound fish lol. 

2 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

It should be fine. You said in another post you are using a 1 ounce egg sinker and a baitfish, it should work just fine for what you are going to do. I don't think the tiger is needed in this situation. It's an ugly stik and it will handle any fish you hook on to. I have a catfish series ugly stik rated to 3 ounces that landed a 6 foot sandbar shark with no problems at all, other than it being too light for an 80 pound fish lol. 

I will look into the striper series. What about the Shimano TDR? 

12 hours ago, Camoroso2006 said:

I will look into the striper series. What about the Shimano TDR? 

I’ve never used it and I don’t know if I’ve ever seen one in person. People on here say it’s good, so look into that rod too would be my advice.

I have, on occasion used a 7 foot, medium GX7 ugly stik spinner for schoolies in a pinch. It’s rated for 5/8 ounce. I’ve thrown up to 2 ounces of lead plus a mackerel chunk with it. Not that I recommend it, but it didn’t break! Point is, you can safely go way over the weight rating with an ugly stik. I would never try to do that with some of my better rods because I know I would snap them! Are you fishing in heavy current? How deep are you planning on fishing? I use a 7 foot St Croix premier (rated to 1 1/2 oz) for inshore saltwater bass and have never had problems turning fish up to 36+ inches. If I was fishing real deep, or in heavy current I would want something a little heavier. But still not a broomstick.

Checking out different Ugly Stiks a while back for the hell of it, the GX2 seemed the flimsiest of the bunch. 

2 hours ago, wrboz said:

I have, on occasion used a 7 foot, medium GX7 ugly stik spinner for schoolies in a pinch. It’s rated for 5/8 ounce. I’ve thrown up to 2 ounces of lead plus a mackerel chunk with it. Not that I recommend it, but it didn’t break! Point is, you can safely go way over the weight rating with an ugly stik. I would never try to do that with some of my better rods because I know I would snap them! Are you fishing in heavy current? How deep are you planning on fishing? I use a 7 foot St Croix premier (rated to 1 1/2 oz) for inshore saltwater bass and have never had problems turning fish up to 36+ inches. If I was fishing real deep, or in heavy current I would want something a little heavier. But still not a broomstick.

No barley any current in out lake and don’t fish very deep. 

1 hour ago, Skunkoff said:

Checking out different Ugly Stiks a while back for the hell of it, the GX2 seemed the flimsiest of the bunch. 

The Bigwater ugly stik has a pretty slow action compared to the other ugly stiks. The gx2 medium 6’ 6” I have has a whippy tip but a strong backbone. Same with the elite, flimsy tip and crazy backbone. I use the 9’ 1-5 bigwater for sharking and it probably isn’t heavy enough but it’s an ugly stik and it will lob 8-10 so what the hell. It will bend into the handle if enough pressure is put on it. But it is strong and I have no fear of breaking it.

Just got a chance to feel a TDR. Here’s the model.9B8EF31F-ACC4-48D2-A44B-0DD2C3441F45.jpeg.9b7e8ce78762af34859316c0d749f1b8.jpeg

This is a nice rod. Good backbone and felt nice in the hand, although it was a little heavy which isn’t a problem really. For $30 it’s a steal just from a quick feel. No lure rating but probably 1-2 ounces max would be my guess. You could go over but I wouldn’t go more than 3 ounces over the rating on a non ugly stik. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Camoroso2006 said:

No barley any current in out lake and don’t fish very deep. 

And you said 1 oz plus bait, 20 lb mono, right? You’re fishing for stripers, right? Striper rod is rated to 1 oz, up to 25 lb line. If you ever decide to cast with it you’re all set up to about 2 oz plugs cuz it’s an ugly stik. They call it the striper series for a reason. You’ll find some haters, but for $50 or $60 they are as good as anything out there. Not the most sensitive, (and you don’t really need that gor trolling), but easy to cast and tough. I have 2 pc in all my cars for emergency fishing.

Edited by wrboz