Ugly stick GX2

Rate this topic

Camoroso2006

I have a 6’ 6” medium spinner gx2 and it would suck for trolling. Like others said, a tiger would be better for trolling. I don’t really use ugly stiks anymore because like another said they are very floppy sometimes, but they are strong. If you want an ugly stik I’d recommend looking into the ugly stik striper rods. They have a moderate action and seem to be good for trolling based on reviews. I personally use my lake trout jigging rod as my kayak striper trolling rod too. A Penn Rampage 6’ 6” 2-5 oz. Love the palm support seat on it. Much more comfortable than the stupid little ones that go in between your fingers. The rampage has a more moderate action that is nice for trolling, but still has a fair amount of backbone. It’s not a trolling rod but it does make do. Typically I do not troll because it is incredibly boring IMO but when jigging or casting doesn’t work I’ll go around for a little bit and see if I can’t pick something up. It is also a great catfish rod, if you do that kind of fishing. If you’re using a conventional I think this rod is worth looking into, along with the tiger and the striper series rod. Hope this helps.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

3 hours ago, Camoroso2006 said:

@ProSkateFisherman I am fishing freshwater which would be better for that? 

I think if you’re not doing any jigging get the tiger or the striper series rod. The striper series is cheaper and is more of a trolling rod I think. You could probably use it for live bait too. I’ve never used it so I don’t have any first hand experience but the reviews are good. If your just starting out start with less expensive gear and if you like it or it works then you can get better gear over time. Keep in mind the striper series is a conventional rod only, but that’s not a problem for me. I won’t troll with a spinning rod ever. A line counter reel is a nice thing to have when trolling. What you get is up to you, but I’d say start out with the striper series (the heavier of the two, rated to 1 oz but it’s an ugly stik so you can go a little heavier) and whatever reel you want to use and then go from there. I’d say put braid on the reel, maybe 30 or 40 pound. I like suffix 832. 300 yards should be enough. I don’t know much about striper trolling so I advise you do some more research on trolling methods.

I don’t troll very often and when I do it’s only for walleyes and muskies and I don’t use much or any trolling gear... just a 1 oz bottom bouncer and a crawler harness for the walleyes and a big fat crank bait on a 6’ 100 pound mono leader set 60 feet behind the boat for muskies. No planer boards or 6 rod spreads. 2 rods max, normally just one. I keep it simple. I know freshwater striper trolling is done with mainly live alewife and other baitfish, not so much with lures, that’s what I’ve learned at least. Again, I don’t really know the first thing about live bait trolling or anything like that, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Again, do some more research and get out there and try. A big part of fishing is trial and error. The search bar is a good place to start looking for info. Good luck out there. Hope I could help.

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

4 hours ago, Camoroso2006 said:

@ProSkateFisherman I think I have settled on the tiger because I have gotten a lot of recommendations for it. Should I get a medium heavy or just medium? 

The normal tiger casting rod says the medium is rated to 6 ounces, and the medium heavy is rated to 8. The tiger elite casting medium heavy is rated to 4 ounces and the heavy is rated to 5. Personally, I would get the medium normal tiger and the medium heavy tiger elite. I don’t need a rod rated to 8 ounces for the jigging or trolling I do, but you may. Don’t be afraid to go heavier than the max rating on an ugly stik, it will handle it. Especially just trolling or jigging. I use a rod rated to 1 ounce for lake trout jigging and I will normally use up to 3 ounces on it because I’m jigging, not casting, so there isn’t as much extra strain on the rod like there would be casting that much over the rating. Of course don’t go too much over the rating, no matter the rod. Whichever you chose to get will work. Hope this helped. Tight lines.

Your fishing FW for hybrid stripers ( stripes)? They don’t get too big like in SW, imho all the US tigers will be overkill. For me the handles are too long for kayak use, and have to be shortened. 

Never had a problem with stripers or blues on the yak with a 7’ GX2. 

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I use a 7' GX2 spinner fishing backbays on my "budget setup". I definitely wouldn't recommend it for trolling however, way too much flex imo (which I like for casting). But then again you're doing hybrids in fresh water so the 6'6 might work out fine. As above said kayak would prob be ok too. 

I still think the Tiger is WAY too heavy for FRESHWATER stripers! No way you need something rated to 4 ounces or more! If you’re trolling you don’t really need a sensitive rod. It’s generally not that kind of fishing. That being said, you still don’t want a saltwater trolling setup for freshwater. If you’re convinced you want an ugly stik, the striper series would probably serve your purpose better.

Edited by wrboz