Great White Shark sightings...

Rate this topic

bdowning

19 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

State of MA eliminating a bounty on them kicked off their "recovery?"
Marine Mammals Protection Act threw gasoline on the fire. 
Some say draggers flattening the offshore shoals drove the cod-haddock-pollock stocks closer to shore, essentially serving up a buffet to the seals

Everything I’ve read says their primary food species are our primarily bait species. Not that they wouldn’t eat a bigger fish.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

10 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Everyone forgets to include the tanking of the international fur trade.

US law only protected seals in US waters.

It was the commercial fur harvest that clubbed all the baby seals internationally. They killed far, far more seals than pissed off fishermen. 

When the fur trade tanked around the time the world was in outrage over clubbing baby seals, the Canadian seal herd rebounded.

The Canadian seal herd is the direct source of ours. It's nothing for a gray seal to swim from Canada to the Cape.

All the hue and cry over the US government "mismanaging" the seals does not take into account the Big Picture. 

The seal fur trade was for harp seals, not gray and harbor seals. One has nothing to do with the other.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

The seal fur trade was for harp seals, not gray and harbor seals. One has nothing to do with the other.

Throughout the 19th early 20th centuries grey seal were harvested for fur 8n large numbers.

They still are today in small amounts.

9 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Throughout the 19th early 20th centuries grey seal were harvested for fur 8n large numbers.

They still are today in small amounts.

I should have quoted th original message I was referring to. I know there was a small gray seal fur trade, but the message I was resending to was confusing the Harp seal fur trade with the gray and harbor seal"problems. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. 

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I'd like to know if there's any scientific support for that.

Me too. (assuming you mean scientific support to support the "some say".. They, the Some Say, Cape Cod shellfishers, having described witnessing the seals there catching flounder, stripers and cod)

35 mins ago, BrianBM said:

The damage draggers do to the bottom is much discussed, but I'd like to know what the eggheads say.

Answer is pretty simple, it depends on the bottom.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

No. Homer as in The Iliad and The Odyssey. The sea was Odysseus' cruel mistress, and in the end, that's what Homer has him do; walk away with an oar on his shoulder.

Boy, did you just rekindle some distasteful memories.

My Latin III class required that we translate Homer's Iliad and Odyssey and Virgil's Aneid. :snr:

The Sultan of Sluggo